xantia hot cold hot cold

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

xantia hot cold hot cold

Post by paranoid »

Just a little problem that starting to bug me..........
When engine has warmed up I switch the heater on to full heat and full speed, lovely and warm for a bit so turn temprature down a bit, still to hot, turn it down some more still to hot, this goes on till it gets down to about 16 on the slider, it then goes to full cold, it seems to be all or nothing and i am getting tired of turning it up and down.
The car has auto setting but the same thing happens seems to blow the same temprature out till about 16 then cold.
Is this a simple cleaning a part job as i'm not very hot on electrics,everything feels like its moving ok at the knobs,
I haven't had a look yet but I suspect the pollen filter is the original.
Any clues much appreciated
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I believe you have a temp sensor and a small blower fan to keep the sensor supplied with air inside the dash duct.
The small fan should be running constantly.
May be a problem with fan or sensor ?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The fan that Anders describes is positioned behind the red alarm LED. When you turn the ignition on without the engine running you should be able to hear it run. If not then you will have to remove the radio (make sure you have the code) which will allow you to push it out. Access is quite tight because for some reason Citroen could not afford to add a couple of extra inches to the connecting wire.
The pollen filter is situated underneath the glove box, just remove the 4 screws securing the felt and the filter is behind a flap removed by either sliding the cover off or removing another 4 screws. It may well be a little dirty with a certain aroma.............
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Took pollen filter and it was same colour as carpet (very dark grey/black) and full of small leaves and seeds, vacunmed it a bit till I could get a new one !!!! but nothing would budge the muck, Would this cause the smell of horse muck I can smell sometimes when I turn the fan on ? I just presumed the old owner lived by a farm.
Don't think I can hear the fan sensor thing will check again later, are they fixable?
The car has air-con if that matters!!!
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

The tiny fan is not repairable. The sensor / fan assembly costs £71.
The usual symptom on Xantias when this fan fails are the opposite to yours. The heat sink in the radio is right under the a/c temp. sensor, so if the fan isn't working, the radio heats up the sensor, which turns the heat off. When the fan is working, it draws air from the car so avoiding the effect of the radio's heat. So it sounds more like the temperature sensor has failed. This would be repairable as it's only a simple RTD.
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Had the same problem in my Xantia HDi but we don't have a red alarm LED. I had a can of compressed air with an extension nozzle pipe that I use to clean the innards of computers , inserted this carefully through the grill and blew a little. Perhaps I was lucky but it did the trick; I think perhaps the sensor becomes coated with dust that insulates it from small temperature changes.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

any body know where the sensor is ?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Sorry to appear thick David but whats an RTD (electrics were never my area!!) and do you mean clean or solder type repair.
The fan behind the LED is running and after I blew really hard down it, it did sort of sound healthier (quieter)
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Got a commpressed air blower on it last night at work that seems to have done the trick!!!!!!!
Thanks