On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: On your Bike

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, a good, light road bike will be a good plan as the hills in the West Country are a bit brutal... Shame you're so far away as I have the perfect one going spare you could borrow...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

CitroJim wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 17:35 Yes, a good, light road bike will be a good plan as the hills in the West Country are a bit brutal... Shame you're so far away as I have the perfect one going spare you could borrow...
Cheers Jim if it's got a motor I would 'pop 'round' and get it :lol:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Skull wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 18:20
Cheers Jim if it's got a motor I would 'pop 'round' and get it :lol:
You are the motor ;) :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

CitroJim wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 18:24 You are the motor ;) :)
I need a tune-up then :rofl2:
Gone
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Skull wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 21:49
CitroJim wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 18:24 You are the motor ;) :)
I need a tune-up then :rofl2:
🤣🤣🤣
Jim

Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

Skull wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 15:55
Today - the freewheel joined in and has partially seized, so slightly slower progress as it seemed the only way to safely descend was to keep the brakes on to keep the speed down and carry on pedalling as fast as possible, otherwise the chain just went slack and gathered up against the tyre :juggle: risking a rear lock up!
Oops that’s not going to work #-o
Opps
Opps
Oops 2
Oops 2
I thought while I was playing around with the rear wheel I would re-grease my axle ball bearings but I had a brain fart and put the axle in the wrong way around #-o

They are coming to take me away ... the sooner the better probably :rofl2:

All back together now but I've ordered a book as I don't know enough about bicycles :oops:
Gone
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

So easily done ;) At least you spotted it before you tried to put the wheel back in the frame..

Mine are sealed for life and can't be re-greased, only replaced. As are the bottom brackets... Special tools required...
Jim

Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

CitroJim wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 18:36 So easily done ;) At least you spotted it before you tried to put the wheel back in the frame..
It was a close thing Jim, I only noticed when I went to pick it up by the axle and test the smoothness and there was only a short stub on one side :oops:

The worst thing was the cassette was hard to remove ...both times ...and the cheap chain wrench was bending and popping links.

Bike development has come a long way in the last 20+ years and I realise my knowledge and toolbox needs to expand :dunno: ....
Gone
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Skull wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 20:12 Bike development has come a long way in the last 20+ years and I realise my knowledge and toolbox needs to expand :dunno: ....
It has! I was amazed at how many special tools I needed to acquire before I could do most of the jobs on mine. The only significant tool I've not got yet is a bottom bracket press, I've not yet needed to as I have a friend with one...

I've been playing again with the Garmin VIRB tool that allows selected metrics from your Garmin device to be overlaid on a video.

Here's my second attempt. It's better but not quite right. Getting it synced is not easy and I will be trying again with a different technique when I have a chance...

This was 6 miles along of one of our TT courses - once I was out of town... I wasn't really going hard as my legs were still a little tired from Friday and a run earlier in the day...
Jim

Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

Presumably you've left the audio off for this effort Jim as it would highlight the sync error more, it wasn't until you done a U-turn at 37 kph that I noticed the error :shock: Visual quality is very good though :mrgreen:
Gone
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Skull wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 10:21 Presumably you've left the audio off for this effort Jim as it would highlight the sync error more, it wasn't until you done a U-turn at 37 kph that I noticed the error :shock: Visual quality is very good though :mrgreen:
Yes, I deliberately deleted the audio when I converted the video from .mov to .mp4 (VIRB only works on MP4 videos and my Duathlon Bike camera only records in .mov) as all you really hear is road noise, me breathing and occasionally making rude comments about fellow road users so best it's muted!

I've recorded another video (currently processing) during my duathlon training today and will have another go...

Yes, I was shocked I did a U-Turn at 37KP/h :lol: :lol:

I've established a better reference point to help sync my video to my Garmin today so will see if it's happier.

Quality from my Shimano camera is surprisingly good. It's only good for a couple of hours before the battery runs flat. I have a Cycliq Fly 12 on my road bike and that's good for about 8 hours so K for long 100 mile rides...

I'll post my next effort here. It won't look good on the outbound leg as I was riding into a stiff headwind... Good on the way back though :)
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

CitroJim wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 18:11
I've recorded another video (currently processing) during my duathlon training today and will have another go...

I did but in doing so I discovered a potential showstopper. VIRB has a facility to manually adjust the synchronisation between the video and the Garmin. fit file. It does this by placing a map over the video and synchronisation is adjusted by moving a cursor on the map to a precise point that can be identified on the video, such as a road junction.

All good in theory but the map display no longer works due to VIRB expecting to find Internet Explorer on the laptop. I also found Garmin no longer supports VIRB :( No new or updated versions will be offered. Shame :(

I found a registry modification that should allow VIRB to use the Edge browser but that no longer works as of about six months ago due to Google maps changing how their API works - allegedly...

So, that's game over. But not quite as all other parts of VIRB work and it's a brilliant video editor. I'm currently pondering how to synchronise my Garmin data to the video without needing the bit of VIRB that no longer works...

I may have a plan and will try again after tomorrow's ride when I will be using my Cyclic camera which timestamps the video from its accurate internal clock.

I'm enjoying this :)
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I have some new footage recorded on my Cycliq from a lovely metric century (100Km) ride out to a favourite café with friends yesterday...

No time yet to process it... Unlikely to until much later today...

I do notice my Cycliq battery have lost capacity recently - it used to easily allow 8 hours of recording but now down to 5 and a bit. Looks like replacement is possible...

I need t good as I'll be doing a longer ride on Saturday - The Cambridgeshire Classic Sportive :D
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahead of riding what's likely to be a cold and wet Cambridgeshire Classic Sportive tomorrow, I went out for a short ride to test my wet-weather winter gear.

All is good :D What wasn't so good was the driver of a Mercedes SUV who, for absolutely no reason I could deduce, close passed me with his window down so he could avail himself of his opinion of me before speeding off... He told me I was a 'fuc*ing idiot' :lol: :) Prima-facie, out riding in the rain and having no idea why, I concede he may have had a point :lol: ;)

He was unaware it was all captured on video...

He did at least do a very good job of keeping the stereotype alive and well ;)
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Submit that to the cops Jim. I'm sure three points and £100 fine will put a smile on his face.