On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: On your Bike

Post by CitroJim »

A lovely 42 mile ride today playing 'chicken' with the rain, which never came and is not due for hours yet hereabouts despite much BBC and Met. Office hysteria about it washing us all to the other side of the planet by lunchtime :roll: Most of the ride was in bright winter sunshine!

My cycling mojo is back and very strongly...

I do love an oddly named place. This, what looks like an urban street name sign is out in the middle of nowhere and the only thing in the locality with that name is an area of woodland... Dungee Woods.
20240104_111846.jpg
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I quite often ride through Quothquan - I doubt there is anywhere else in the UK with 2 Qs in its name!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 14:54 I quite often ride through Quothquan - I doubt there is anywhere else in the UK with 2 Qs in its name!
That's a cracker of a name Richard... Be good in a game of Scrabble, if only proper nouns were allowed.. Or are they?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

Day 4 Jim but not as nice as your visit and I'm not sure I'd take a 5K bike anywhere near this route :roll:
Car been taken out on bend
Car been taken out on bend
by van
by van
IMG_1074.jpeg
IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_1076.jpeg
Reported
Reported
IMG_1081.jpeg
IMG_1082.jpeg
Muddy climb
Muddy climb
IMG_1085.jpeg
Potholes
Potholes
Stretch after the climb
Stretch after the climb
Nice fast decent ....normally but remember the sign ?
Nice fast decent ....normally but remember the sign ?
IMG_1133.jpeg
IMG_1134.jpeg
Double dip
Double dip
Safely Through (crashed on ice last year)
Safely Through (crashed on ice last year)
IMG_1137.jpeg
IMG_1138.jpeg
IMG_1139.jpeg
IMG_1141.jpeg
Walworth Castle up for sale
Walworth Castle up for sale
Yours for 3.5 million
Yours for 3.5 million
Charming ! Can you spot it ?
Charming ! Can you spot it ?
Spoiler: show
Refreshments - I disposed of correctly
Refreshments - I disposed of correctly
….caught him up later for a chat, told me about the Castle on the market
….caught him up later for a chat, told me about the Castle on the market
Submitted from IPhone sorry if they go wonky :roll:
Last edited by Skull on 04 Jan 2024, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Houghton le side or hit on the side? I don't think I'd ever post a picture of a bicycle on this thread because if I had to suffer one it would come under the electric vehicles thread.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great phots Skull! I'm not sure I'd like to take anything down thee currently but in the summer it would be magical :cool:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Another lovely ride today, dodging floods and finding hitherto unknown trigs :D
20240105_120143.jpg
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Not sure of this belongs in here, or the DIY tools :lol:
IMG_20240106_093843542.jpg
First job on the new frame was pressing in the headset cups, they were rather tight, this was Mk 2, wood packers were not strong enough first time! Crown race also installed on the forks, which necessitated making of another special tool (just a 3x2 narrowed at one end to bear on the underside of the crown, I had a piece of plastic pipe the right size to push with). Old frame is stripped, gear mechs cleaned, so should get it together tomorrow - but I am under par (COVID?) So work is slow... rather a pity as today was cold clear and windless, would have been a nice day for a ride!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good to see you have a new frame Richard :D Looking forward to seeing it all built up :D

Indeed, yesterday was god here for a ride... I had a little time (Saturdays are always dominated by parkrun) but did get out for a bit of TT Training...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Bike back together and I've been out for a ride having got over the COVID.
IMG_20240113_141218064.jpg
Need to change the front outer on the rear shift cable, so got some new bar tape on the way, which is more in keeping with the colour of the new frame. Could probably do with an offset seat post, this one is straight, a cast off from one of the boys' MTB when we fitted dropper posts.

Rides a little differently, this one has steel forks, had carbon before, and I think a little bit more forwards offset to the front axle. Soon got used to it!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I saw your ride on Strava Richard :) Bike looks good. Didn't realise until now it's a Genesis frame :cool: Very posh!
Jim

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

RichardW wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 15:26 Bike back together and I've been out for a ride having got over the COVID.

Need to change the front outer on the rear shift cable, so got some new bar tape on the way, which is more in keeping with the colour of the new frame. Could probably do with an offset seat post, this one is straight, a cast off from one of the boys' MTB when we fitted dropper posts.

Rides a little differently, this one has steel forks, had carbon before, and I think a little bit more forwards offset to the front axle. Soon got used to it!
Can someone translate this into English please.....or laymen's terms...?
Ryan

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Rp0thejester wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 21:44
Can someone translate this into English please.....or laymen's terms...?
The tubey bit that the rear gear cable runs in from the gear lever (which is part of the brake lever) to the frame is rusty and needs changing. This runs under the colourful handlebar tape which no longer matches the frame colour, so I will change both.

Sticky bit that the saddle bolts onto was stuck in the old frame so I had to find another one. My lads have mountain bikes, and I changed the sticky bits on those for hydraulic posts that go up and down, so I had a couple of spares lying about. However, my old one had a curvy bit on the top which meant the saddle was bolted on slight behind the line of the up and down tube on the frame, but the one I have used is straight up and down so the saddle is a bit too far forward.

Forks are slightly more flexible, and have a slightly bigger bend in them, which makes it feel different to ride.

:rofl2:
Richard W
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Now that makes sense, thanks :-D
Ryan

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Another cracker of a bike ride today in bright winter sunshine... It was cold but not that you'd know it... Garmin/Strava suggested -3 with windchill. Air temperature just above freezing.
bike190124.jpg
I'm riding all our Club 2024 season Time Trial (TT) courses over the next few sunny days... Today I rode one of my favourites, the F5z/10 Hanslope course... It's a bit hilly and challenging :cool:

One bit is very twisty and busy where any cars following just cannot get past. I knew I had accumulated five following thanks to my radar so I did the right thing and pulled into a farm entrance so they could pass. For that simple thing I received five big smiles and thumbs ups :D
Jim