Xantia Deadlocks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

Xantia Deadlocks

Post by RichG »

About 6 months ago my Xantia, which is only normally used at weekends since I bought a micra for my wife, developed a fault on the deadlocks.
The IR two button 'plip' locks and deadlocks the doors OK. It also unlocks all of the doors except for the drivers. Although the door sounds like it has unlocked both the external and internal handles will not open the door (there is no resistance to them moving). When I put the key in the drivers side door lock and turn it as if to unlock the door the last few degrees of travel cause a small 'click' from the door and the handle works OK.
I have just had the inner skin off the door (and broken 2 of the clips! They would be 2 of the type that the Dealer did not have in stock last week when I bought some spares in anticipation wouldn't they?)and sprayed the inside of the door lock back with silicon but it has made no difference. Most of the spray seems to have run out the bottom of the door.
Is it worth removing the lock completely? I have tried but after disconnecting the key lock and inside handle rods I was unsure how to disconnect the outside handle rod. If I do get it removed can I take it apart and lubricate it?
Richard
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

It may be worth removing the 'up-down' button on the door in question and seeing if it then unlocks OK with the plip.
I have found that if the button is not fitted low enough on the rod then when the solenoid trys to push the button up, it reaches the top of its travel just that bit too early and prevents the door unlocking.
However because you say that the internal handle does not work, I think it is more likely that the deadlock mechanism not releasing properly. To remove the lock you need to remove its 3 screws so that there is enough movement to allow you to manouvre the external handle away from the door far enough to detach the operating rod.
Note, to correctly refit the button, I have found this method works well: make sure the plastic tang is in the lower hole, sit inside the car with the door locked then refit the button into it's channel and push it down as far as it will go.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

It is the actual door locking mechanism, with the wiring connector and solenoids, that I want to remove from the door not the door handle and key lock.
I can release the internal handle and key barrel operating rods from the mechanism and unscrew the 3 screws that are on the opening edge of the door but the unit is still held by the external handle operating rod that I do not know how to release, or re-attach.
Kered

Post by Kered »

The "much maligned" Haynes manual fully explains this. It is necessary to remove the exterior door handle then the rod can be removed. The handle is held by 2 screws. It's a job that I've had to do and was quite straight forward by following the instructions.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

When you got the lock out were you able to take it apart, see how it works, and lubricate it or is it a non-serviceable item?
Kered

Post by Kered »

It is a sealed unit. I bought a used one from eBay for £5 plus postage of £3. It worked fine then I sold the car.
Kered

Post by Kered »

Correction - The door handle is held by only 1 screw[:I]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have found a used door lock on ebay but it is from an L reg car.
Will this have the deadlocking function and fit my R reg? I understand that the wiring might be different.
Richard
Kered

Post by Kered »

Hi Richard
I can't honestly say. The car I had was a 95 Xantia. The "much despised" Haynes manual doesn't indicate a different system. It will take you about 15 minutes to find out. It will be much appreciated if you post the answer as I am now on a series 2 HDi estate!
Derek
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Yesterday I finally got round to sorting my door lock. Following H****s manual and common sense I got the lock out of the door. I was surprised that the connector had 9 pins not 5 as has been stated elsewhere.
Although the plastic cover of the unit is sealed there is a middle part that can be removed by undoing a screw and releasing 3 clips. This gave access to some of the mechanicals and the deadlock lever (the source of my troubles). After some lubrication and a bit of 'waggling' the lock now works (touch wood).
I did not get any replies from the breakers that I emailed regarding a new lock however.