Help, please, urgent!!!!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dgs
My Cars:

Help, please, urgent!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dgs »

I want to remove the spring from the break pedal. I started to dismantle the rod wich is attached to brake pedal at one side and goes to the engine room at the other. I cant get that rod out. Am i doing spomething wrong? Car is xantia 1 95'
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

Is it possible to pull that rod out without braking it? I dont see a spring on that rod. The rod goes to a bigger hole (to the engine) and dissapears.
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

I would be very gratefull if someone could help me with that thing!! Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

first.. plzzz edit and delete some of your !!!!!!'s so we dont have to scroll for miles to read the posts! Next, if the rod doesn't have a spring on it why are you trying to remove it anyway?
3rd, what make, year, model, car are you talking about?
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

The rod has the spring but "somewhere inside". I hate the spring! One part of the rod is attached to brake pedal and the other part of it dissapears in a plastic hole wich leads to the engine room.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Xantia 1995.
I don't know the answer but I think that Mr Burns may.
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

It seems that brake spring can not be removed from the inside. I would need to dismantle the brake valve and i don't want to do that. Someone wrote that he removed the spring from the inside. How?
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

Is that thing with number 2 suposed to be in the cabin or in the engine compartment? If that no.2 thing is that "canister" that contains spring and is located inside of cabin, then i don't have that kind of valve assembly.
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

THE DIFFERENCE!!!!
Don't be offended, but i hate those RHD xantia owners!!! You will see why.
RHD
you can see the spring canister
LHD
problem with the spring
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Finally,
someone else that feels like me. Everytime I drive our Xantia I get out saying "I hate the ****ty bloody awful brakes in this car". You even don't stop, or end up at the last minute doing a crash stop as that bloody spring compreses. It is IMPOSSIBLE to regulate the braking.
I find the brakes in all my other cars fantastic, ie: CX's, DS's, ID's, GS's, even the bloody 2cv brake pedal has a better feel than the Xantias. Typical modern Citroen, they changes something that's worked exceptionaly well since the '50s and completely stuff it up (just so it'll "feel" like a normal car [:(!]).
seeya,
Shane L.
PS: So how do I get rid of this stupid bloody spring ??
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

You have Right hand drive xantia. Look at 1st pic of pedal assembly and remove the spring from that thing marked with number 3. replace the spring inside no3 thing with adequate bolt.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yep, it's the old "silly spring" again - a citroën speciality on XM's and Xantias - to make the brakes feel more "normal". Do as dgs says and whip item 3 out, open it and replace the internal spring with a suitable bolt. It transforms the braking performance. When I did it on my XM TD12, the MOT tester nearly put his head through the windscreen while panic braking! (that'll teach them!)
//NiSk
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

Yes.... But I haven't got ANY advice from you! We know about removing the spring from RHD xantia, but what about mine LHD?! If you look at 2nd (lhd) brake pedal pic, you will sea a tiny hole at 1/2lenght of a brake pedal. From this hole the rod that pushes the brake valve is secured. You can see the ROD on brake valve assembla picture (marked by no.11 and 2and3). If you look at that pic you will see that LHD xantias have the spring marked with number 7 on brake valve picture. Has anyone tried to remove that spring??????
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

All the LHD Xantia's I've seen over hear (Sweden) - and there are quite a lot of them - have the brake pedal and spring unit as shown in the second figure. I've never seen the assembly shown in the first figure on a Xantia, I'm afraid.
//NiSk
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

LHD xantias have the assembly as on the 2nd pic, and all RHD xantia have the 1st pic assembly.
My brake pedal isn't like in normal cars, but i know that cx has firmer pedal and i want pedal like that. I've pushed the rod by hand and i know that somewhere inside there is a spring because of those idiots who are used to drive cars like vw.