coil, pack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

coil, pack

Post by picassodad »

Further to the lads thread, Picasso front exhaust 03 plate ( admin has the chassis number etc ) .

We had a look at the car last evening, twas cold......

obd showed one engine fault, P1336 from memory.

The car started and ran but was mis firing badly with the tail exhaust smelling badly of petrol.

We removed the coil pack and plugs.

All plugs where not what I would call "Tight" and came out all ok.

cyl 4 and 3 ( 4 being at the cam belt end ) where black and wet with 2 and 1 looking dry and normal.

I do not have any tech info on the coil pack a segem unit.

Would anyone have info as to how its wired internally and resistance values of the LT and HT primary and secondary circuits please.

Since the engine started and ran, power to the coil pack would be ok, unless there has been a "wire break" inside the coil pack at the middle somewhere resulting in a power loss to 4 and 3 cylinders??

I have read somewhere its a wasted spark system, 1 and 4 sparking at the same time, with 2 and 3 sparking at their same time but 180 degrees latter.

Assuming that 4 and 3 are misfing due to the bad blackness, or 1 and 2 misfing cos of no fuel injected ?? bad smell of fuel at the tail......

Tech info on coil pack greatly appreciated so we can test it on the bench.

We can refit everything and add red neon plug caps to each cylinder and start and see they all flash........

will report back with findings/hopefull progress......

note since the exhaust is broken ( suspected ) and was seen to be red hot ( yellow hot ) under the front of the car, could the cat now be melted and the 2 lambda sensor well and truely cooked??
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: coil, pack

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That relates to the Camshaft Position Sensor variation - not learned - but I'm not getting a fault code for this engine. However, the coil pack part is: 597098 and this has been known to cure this problem when replaced.

There is no technical documentation on these as they are a service item and are simply replaced.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
picassodad

Post by picassodad »

Intermotor do a replacement coil pack for this car 12747. They have informed me the primary resistance is 0.7 ohms and the secondary 18..2k ohms.

These values are close to the values measured on the segem coil pack bbc2.2 as fitted to the picasso the lad has. This does not mean the coil pack works properly, so will rig up some sort of bench test and report back. I intend to use 4 red neon plug caps inline with the plugs and see if they all flash. Will have to make a short extension for the coil pack lt connection hold the coil p[ack in place when the lad starts the engine, heres hoping.
TheOtherPablo
My Cars: 53 Plate Xsara Picasso 1.8

Post by TheOtherPablo »

Good morning everyone,

Exhaust seems 'ok'? Coils seem to be producing spark.

The Exhaust Cam Sprocket. It would appear that this has erroneous movements where it shouldn't.

If this sprocket's rubber damper has failed does this spell the end of the valves?

Picasso Dad will be able to fill in some more details soon.

Thanks for any help you can give with my vague description.
picassodad

Post by picassodad »

see the continuing saga with members names/posts....
picassodad

Post by picassodad »

To conclude, if your xsara picasso 1.8 16v dohc 2003 starts to run on 2 cylinders all of a sudden, and has good compressions and cam timing is all ok, and the diagnostics says p1336 cam and crank sensor mismatch, and they are renewed and make no difference, and the wires to the sensors and coil pack are all ok with good continuity etc.., then try a new coil pack.

This worked for us and for others as well.

While you have the top cam belt cover off ( you had real fun with that right!! ) check the vibration dampered exhaust cam sprocket. The damper ring is bonded to the rubber "star" that in turn is bonded to a thin walled tube that is pressed onto the cam sprocket. They can become "unbonded".