Major pipe rupture

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nikobix
My Cars:

Major pipe rupture

Post by nikobix »

I have a Xantia 1.9D on a L plate.
I brought it cheap as there was a problem with the hydraulics. The feed pipe between the pump and accumulator had ruptured.
To be on the safe side I picked up another accumulator from a recent Tdi from the scrappy. New pipe and fluid. All seemed OK. (apart from the brakes usual hard soft problem) ticking every 20-30 secs for about 500 miles then (and it would be on the M25) pipe ruptured again. Blown out from the pump again leaving a snails trail of LHM up the M25.

Anyone got any idea why the pipe is blowing out. I am thinking of replacing the pump as it is a bit noisy but I can’t see this giving to much pressure.
I have search through this forum back quite a way and have not seen any postings with reference to this problem.
From a completely stumped Nik [B)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

First of all :
It's the pump pressure bursting the pipe !
- which means the pump is doing what it's supposed to do : supplying pressure.
It's capable to deliver pressure in excess of 5000psi - if you can turn it !
The pump has absolutely NO pressure regulation itself - it supplies whatever pressure it can - in your case it means the pump is in good nick !
It's the RESTRICTION of the output pressure that then blows the pipe.
Since you only have that single pressure pipe from the pump - your Xantia L-reg would be a PRE-95 production model.
These have the FDV (flow divider valve) controlling the diversion of pump pressure between PR (pressure regulator) and the servosteering.
The FDV is known to play games with it's internal valves - restricting the pump pressure.
You picked up another accumulator ? - you mean the PR (the gassphere base unit) - or the gassphere itself ?
The gasspheres on any earlier Citroens have a predicted service life of approx 5 years - then they have lost too much of the precharged gas pressure to be functioning as thought.
Any second hand sphere would be a lottery - and they are only approx GBP20 brand new.
The PR & the FDV works in close cooperation - that's why they are interconnected - and it's often anticipated the PR is at fault - when it is in fact the FDV.
The PR is by far the most reliable hydraulic component - it's the same design & function since the 50'es - very well known.
The FDV is a much later design from the 80'es - known from BX'es with servosteering - and have been the cause to much grief for BX owners.
my suggestions are :
1) Assure the accumulator gassphere (the one on front of engine block) is a brand new unit.
2) Replace the FDV unit. It's a square(ish) device with 5 rigid pipes connected - 2 of the pipes runing to the PR. The FDV is also the device which receives the pump pressure pipe.
3) Keep your replaced PR (if it was this unit) - as it's more than likely in good nick.
It MAY in fact be a problem with the piping wrongly connected (mixed up) after a repair/replacement. This is known to restrict the pump pressure to pipe bursting level.
This picture shows schematic & connections on FDV :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/bxser/rizeni_2.gif
- and here you have the interconnections in schematic form :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/bxser/rizeni_3.gif
YES - I know it's for the BX - but this type servosteering is EXACTLY the same on earlier Xantiae.
Feel free to investigate more info found on the main URL :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/
nikobix
My Cars:

Post by nikobix »

Thanks for your rapid response.
I replaced both the gassphere and PR.
Where abouts is the FDV unit.
I presume from the pics that it is on the steering rack. How dificult are they to change?
And would I be better of with a new one or one from the scrap yard?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Follow the piping to/fro the PR unit - you should have 2 pipes from PR to the FDV. The (bursting) pipe SHOULD also lead to the FDV ?
The PR has 3 rigid pipes connected in all.
The FDV has 5 rigid pipes connected in all.
The FDV is found on front of the gearbox flange - above the PR.
nikobix
My Cars:

Post by nikobix »

The pipe that burst only goes between the pump and the PR.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmmmm....
Does your L-reg Xantia 19D then have servosteering at all ??
How many rigid (steel only !) pipes are found on the PR ?
nikobix
My Cars:

Post by nikobix »

I think from memory there were only 2 with one rubber hose going to the expansion tank.
Also there are only two on the pump.
It does have power steering.
Does this mean that there maybe a bit missing!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

NO - NO -
It means that my first answer is a load of s***e then [:o)]
If you have a <font color="red"><i>pump with 2 rigid</i></font id="red"> (steel !) pipes - then you have the later servo steering setup - no FDV.
My fault we ended here - wasting your time - as I <font color="red"><i>SHOULD</i></font id="red"> have asked you first off wether the pump fitted had the single or 2 pipes fitted. I know too d... well that models around the 94/95 production year may have either system fitted.
I'm truly sorry about that Nik [:(]
To get back on track :
The restriction bursting the pipe is then caused by abnormality in the PR - and then most likely a flat accumulator sphere.
The acc sphere not only acts as an accumulated pressure reserve - but it also dampens the rapid change in pressure when the PR valves changes state.
These rapid pressure changes are known to cause minor shock waves in pressure - then bursting the pipe.
This happens when the acc sphere is flat.
nikobix
My Cars:

Post by nikobix »

Is this very common then?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's not common - but a known problem the pipe breaks up.
But it's VERY common to find a flat accumulator gassphere - and this causes all kinds of strange symptoms.
As this pipe has been replaced a couple of times - and the fact a diesel engine has quite some vibrations - it's imperative the pipe is fixed with all retainers (original) fitted.
To replace this pipe - you first ensure it fits precisely in the pipe ports both ends - then you (careful !) bend it slightly & softly to exactly match the retainers fixing holes.
The pipe must not be allowed to vibrate - or be under strain - when fitted.
nikobix
My Cars:

Post by nikobix »

Are!! The pipe is not held at all by any clips, just the two ends of the pipe.
I will try to find some way of fixing the rigid pipe so that it is not loose. Also will try another gassphere.
Does the gassphere have to be specifically for the PR?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Suspension spheres have a damper mechanism in the fixing neck, accumulators do not. They generally cost the same.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Which means you need a "Main Accumulator sphere for my Xantia".
Note the pipe retainers are rigid steel clamps with rubber inserts.
Nylon straps are no good.
nikobix
My Cars:

Post by nikobix »

I have checked under the bonnet but there are no clips at all. Both pipes from the pump are only held via the pump fittings. I presume these clips are not avaliable as spares.
Also anyone know the best way to clean LHM from under the bonnet. I don't think there is anything that was'nt soaked in it. Looks a right mess and surly can't be good for the electrics???!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A visit to the breakers is the easy option to get these pipe retainers.
As for the LHM oil-mess : leave it !
The oil will in fact preserve against corrosion - any cleaning involving hosing down with water means inducing corrosion problems to the electrics !
Wipe off with rags where you don't want to see it.