Re: Re-torquing 1.6 Hdi injector bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

The Gas Man 2
My Cars: Citroen Grand Picasso 1.6HDI 2008

Re: Re-torquing 1.6 Hdi injector bolts

Post by The Gas Man 2 »

Hi. Ive just joined this forum to help (amongst other issues) sort the injector bolt issue. I have just been through the 'loose' injector bolt problem, coal in system, bad injector seal, turbo gone scenario and would like to add my thoughts!

Brief background history. 2008 C4GP 1.6HDI 100,000mls, serviced well, running fine, then turbo went! I replaced the turbo & modified oil feed pipe, new oil pick-up, new sump, correct oil etc. I also checked the return flow from the turbo and it was fine. I tried to remove the injectors with no success, so employed a garage to remove the injectors re-seat the head and fit all new seals. The car now runs fine, but on checking the injector bolts, some were loose after around only 500 miles!

My question is: Are 'modified' bolts available? Could good old washers be used on each bolt to help retain the tightness? Could a thread seal (Loctite?) also be used to help?

I look forward to your thoughts.
Bick

Re: Re: Re-torquing 1.6 Hdi injector bolts

Post by Bick »

No modified bolts but the manufacturers torque setting is way to low - maybe why they feel loose?

I tighten them by feel as far as my feel and brain is telling me is safe and ive never had one come loose.
The Gas Man 2

Post by The Gas Man 2 »

Hi Bick.

Thanks for the reply and info. I'm going to fit a couple of small washers and loctite each 'bolt' and go for bust. If it works, maybe I could sell the mod to Citroen :rofl2:
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

HI Bick

Glad you said that, because I've been following all the threads dealing with this, feeling a bit bemused.
I've never used a torque wrench and angle gauge on them. I know how tight I can make most things with a 13mm spanner, without stripping/breaking anything and, while I do occasionally find them loose, I don't think I've ever tightened the same ones twice.
Having said that, watch this space... I'll probably ring off the next one!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I believe that, when Volvo service a car with their variant of this engine, they check the injector bolts as standard. Funny thing is, they also don't have many issues with that engine. Makes you think, doesn't it?

I wonder what bolts/washers Volvo use? It might be worth checking into.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citro6hydra
My Cars: C5 2006 2.0l petrol auto
C5 2007 HDI auto
C5 2006 HDI
C5 2006 HDI bought damaged under repair

Post by citro6hydra »

Hi,
Your injector studs are meant to be tightened once only, they are TTY studs ( torque to yield ) in other words when correctly tightened they are tensioned like a violin string and should not be reused, I know it is done but it is flirting with disaster.

The fact that the nuts are loose is cause for some concern prompting the question how can a correctly torqued fastener come loose. It would be interesting to compare the length of your studs with new ones.

There is a factory procedure for fitting the studs to the head and for tightening when installing the injectors (always with new copper seals). Having owned a number of Citroens and having replaced injectors I've never had a problem after using the factory procedure.
The Gas Man 2

Post by The Gas Man 2 »

The fact is these 'bolts' do come loose and cause endless problems with the injectors leaking crud into the oil. I think the studs and bolts are just too small for the job. I'm going to fit washers, torque to what I 'feel' is right after an application on Loctite. I'll try to mark them to see see if they move.

Our previous 2005 2.0HDI Berlingo was fantastic, with this C4GP I've had the bonnet open so much I fear for the bonnet hinges wearing-out! :oops:
Bick

Post by Bick »

The Gas Man 2 wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 09:08 The fact is these 'bolts' do come loose and cause endless problems with the injectors leaking crud into the oil. I think the studs and bolts are just too small for the job. I'm going to fit washers, torque to what I 'feel' is right after an application on Loctite. I'll try to mark them to see see if they move.

Our previous 2005 2.0HDI Berlingo was fantastic, with this C4GP I've had the bonnet open so much I fear for the bonnet hinges wearing-out! :oops:

Dont use loctite no need and you need to check for them being tight at service - like i say never had any come loose when tightened correctly by feel.
Datadogie
My Cars: 2009 Citroen picasso exlusive satnav

Post by Datadogie »

I've just changed the seals on mine. Would you believe this numpty forgot to tighten two nuts on cylinder one. The engine ticked over nicely while I tidied up. Then I took her for a rest run. Great I thought. Then I lost power and the engine stopped. Started again after a minute at the side of the road. I turned at the next roundabout and going uphill with the engine limiter on she stopped again. I could hear her pluffing this time. When I got home I could see the injector bouncing. That's when I kicked myself hard. Tightened up the two bolts and all was almost good. The engine management light was still on. I had hoped it would switch off after a few start stops of the ignition. No chance. I disconnected the battery for half an hour. Whoopee the lights off and the wife's away to the cinema. I was looking to see if I have to retention the bolts when I found this thread. But seeing most comments "No need"