ZX Running Hot...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

ZX Running Hot...

Post by rossnunn »

I have a N reg ZX Elation (as you know) and its getting warm to the point the warning light is coming on (went through this in a pervious post but can't be bothered to go find it!! lol) Have replaced the Thermostat and now the gauge goes up to three quaters - a quater off the red line but with no warning light. The fan kicks in ok.
My question is this; is it normal? my previous ZX - a 1.4 carb didn't get anywhere near this high - I personally like to see the gauge around the halfway mark....
Cheers
R
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

My 95 zx 1.4i does exactly the same. Sitting on the dual carriageway my temp gauge is always sitting at the three quarters mark, but when slowing down i.e. for an island for example it drop slowly back to just above 90c, only to rise again once on the move. It never goes in the red so I dont worry. Another thing I have noticed is that temp tends to go up when i go round a left hand corner and down when going around a right hand corner[:I].
As long as the fan kicks in at the right temp it should be okay.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My temp guage is all over the place as I go around bends. On the straight though it settles at about 80. ZX TD. Think this is normal Citroen temp guages are not the best but do a fare job.
zx avantage
My Cars:

Post by zx avantage »

my zx 1.4i does the same thing but i know the head gasket needs replacing as the header tank if full of oil [:(!] so maybe yours is on its way too check that there are no oily residules in the water
john
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I cant see the point of ignoring what are obvious warning signs, why not find the problem BEFORE you blow your head gasket rather than looking for it after the damage has been done?? [:0] Theres sooo much info on this site about ZX overheating probs you MUST find the answer somewhere... ?? [:)]
My ZX ticks over on 75 and runs at 80 ish, in traffic hold ups last summer it managed to make just over 90 ish, so I put the heater on full and pulled it back down to 80 again.
Arry-b said the ZX automatic has a more expensive radiator fitted? so I think if I had a manual ZX that made a habit of running a bit hot. I would be looking to get one if they fit? [:)]
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Mine been the same since it had 23,000 miles on the clock, granted I replaced the headgasket at 50,000 due to oil leak, but seems happy enough