Washing machines & computers

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Washing machines & computers

Post by van ordinaire »

OK, so now I've got your attention (hopefully) in truth this really a request for a littlehelp.

Those of you who have seen my blog lately might recall odd references to a launderette: that's because my machine down in Devon died, I suppose, a couple of months ago - & I can't find my Haynes manual. No that's not a joke, as anyone who has one will attest. If you are in that small group, can let me have a copy ofthe Bosche test cycle.

Secondly, I can no longer access my e-mails because when I click on the "Thunderbird" short-cut on my desktop, nothing happens. Can anyone more computerate than I (& over the age of 11) provide any guidance?

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Washing machines & computers

Post by myglaren »

This any help?
https://appliantology.org/blogs/entry/6 ... 00-washer/

There are many similar dependent on the actual machine you have.
Places like E-Spares and YouTube often have the answer to stuff like this.
Regarding emails, can you access them as webmail?
This will depend on who your ISP is and if you use their mail service or an independent one.
Personally I gave up on downloading mail years ago. I use two Gmail accounts, two Yahoo accounts (one through BT, my ISP) and an ancient Hotmail account - called something else now.

If you set up a Gmail account it can harvest mail from other providers as long as you have the correct security details.

You might also try wiping and reinstalling Thunderbird.

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As mentioned above espares is a good source of advice, some good videos on there

https://www.espares.co.uk/

Sloppysod
Donor 2019

Post by Sloppysod »

I have used espares myself for washing machine or other domestic appliance parts, good service.

As for Thunderbird, my wife and I both use Thunderbird, me Windows 10 and she with Windows 7. I have had some issues, especially on her PC and the fix has been to uninstall & reinstall, I think some updates just don't work. before you uninstall make sure to use a free to download 'Mozbackup' and back up you emails, unless they are held on a server somewhere. Also take a not of the outgoing and incoming server settings, but then again Thunderbird has a wizard to help setting up. - Good luck.

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
Donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Shame I didn't know. We tried, unsuccessfully, to give away our old but working WM. Reluctantly put it out for the Pikeys in the end with 'Full Working order' marker penned 'in big' on the side

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

Thanks for weighing in with all the advice guys but the stuff on the WM is just too complicated/time consuming (so it's a toss-up between whether I find a manual or another machine first) & the computer/Thunderbird stuff was well nigh incomprehensible. The bit about updates not working was interesting because it wanted to do just that on Thursday morning - & haven't been able to access it since. Oh, & their on-line help advises against uninstalling & reinstalling.
Anyway, Christmas is coming, so plenty of time to reassess whether I REALLY need e-mail - or whether it's just another modern inconvenience I can do without.

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
Donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

van ordinaire wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 21:53
plenty of time to reassess whether I REALLY need e-mail - or whether it's just another modern inconvenience I can do without

I was surprised by my findings following a couple of weeks with no Home Internet in the course of moving house; I suspect you'll find you don't really need email.

SWMBO & I have since decided, along similar lines; not to reinstate the Bedroom TV.

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

Must admit already thinking maybe I was a bit hasty. Among my e-mails are those relating to 3 unresolved disputes (although none of any real consequence), my only way of renewing my internet contract, which expires, on 31 December, but, perhaps, most importantly my $110 ticket for an event over Mayday Weekend.

Good news is, ordered a WM service/repair manual, by the author of the Haynes ones - for a whole £2.50, including p&p!