Hand Primer - No return Valve or NOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

agbacon
My Cars:

Hand Primer - No return Valve or NOT

Post by agbacon »

Hi All,
I am still having trouble starting my Xantia and after trying many ideas from here (thanks everyone) and after a final demand from my other half [:0] I have one last chance to fix it. I have tried/changed/fixed most of the electrics, so believe I am left with a fuel problem.
Many have suggested a non return or one way valve.
I have had two conflicting options of whether the hand primer contains this or not, does anybody out there know for sure [?] as this is an easy item to get and install
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The hand primer bulb has an arrow moulded on one end showing the direction of the fuel flow. To me, this would indicate that there is a one way valve in it.
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

I wish you luck - I too have been wrestling with the dreaded Xantia TD cold starting problem. I'm always glad to see NO frost on the car in the morning because this means that I'll get it started within 30 seconds of continuous cranking (rather than well over a minute when the temperature was down to about -5 c one recent morning). Once its going it runs like a good 'un. I've tried most of the tricks suggested here, except the fitting of a non return valve in the fuel supply nearer to the injector pump - the procurement of which has always eluded me (the main agents either don't have them in stock or deny knowledge of such a fix). My cars done 150K miles - which would suggest maybe somethings worn - but the service history clearly shows this problem started at about 40K (glow plugs changed to no effect, as they have been on a number of occasions). Problem is that by the time you get 'fed up to the back teeth' with the problem, the milder weather comes along and the starting improves to an acceptable level. I shall monitor this thread with much interest.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I cant see how the primer could work without a non return valve in it? The fuel would just go up and down the pipe forever? and it gets hard when full, how else could that happen?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If there is a question mark regarding the primer, which should never need attention, then your real problem is most likely to be air in the plumbing to the pump. Sorry if you have been told this before but I am sure that is the likely reason. Try replacing the pipe from the fuel filter to the pump inlet with a piece of clear pipe and if you see air bubbles then you may not need to divorce either party.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If it was purely air in the system, why would the colder weather make the car harder to start?Personally I would be making sure that voltage actually gets applied to my glowplugs if I was having a temperature related starting problem.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I've got the same problem with mine; after 2-3 hours of sitting there it's a no go. As I pump the primer bulb, I can actually hear it filling the filter up! Pump till 'ard and she starts 2nd compression. Explains why it had new glow plugs and a new starter motor just before I bought it!
I will get round to replacing all the pipes (I've got a large amount of translucent nylon pipe to use instead of the rubber), but it can only be when a) the weather is good and b) when the car is actually at home!