Which coolant for a 2.0 16V in C4 VTS?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cutac

Which coolant for a 2.0 16V in C4 VTS?

Post by Cutac »

Hello,

Last year in May a dealer did a timing belt replacement on my VTS and they added some type of coolant. After the job, coolant was between the MAX and MIN mark and it's stayed that way for these 18 months.
I'd like to buy some coolant just to be on the safe side(remember my c4 coolant problems?), but I've got no idea which one to buy. Right now, fluid in the expansion tank is transparent, it doesn't seem to have any colouring.
Any insight in which coolant could that be?

Paul-R
Donor 2020

Re: Which coolant for a 2.0 16V in C4 VTS?

Post by Paul-R »

Does your receipt for the job give a part number for the coolant used?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would ring the garage - I suspect they could tell you as they would probably have a bulk order of one type of coolant that they use?
Cutac

Post by Cutac »

That's a good idea, I'll check it next time I'm in the car.

Marc, I did ring my local dealer(not the one that did the service) and they told me(on the phone was a guy I'm good with) that they don't know which coolant it is. They have their code and it comes in an unlabeled barrel.
They are willing to sell me 10L of it, but that's too much to keep in the boot :mrgreen:
Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern »

Cutac wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 16:43
That's a good idea, I'll check it next time I'm in the car.

Marc, I did ring my local dealer(not the one that did the service) and they told me(on the phone was a guy I'm good with) that they don't know which coolant it is. They have their code and it comes in an unlabeled barrel.
They are willing to sell me 10L of it, but that's too much to keep in the boot :mrgreen:

You shouldn't need to keep coolant in the boot. If you need something for an emergency, then water will do, keep the coolant at home in the garage! Miine has the original pink oat coolant now. It had some green stuff when I bought it, but I flushed it and changed back.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Water is fine, so long as it is de-ionised/distilled, and you don't use any appreciable quantity of it (risk of dilution). Best to keep tapwater out of your cooling system, to prevent calc forming. Good coolants are made with de-ionised water. If you have 10L of it, you could always decant some into a smaller container.
Michel
Donor 2020

Post by Michel »

Cutac wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 16:43

I haven't carried coolant in the boot for nearly 30 years! There's no point with a modern engine. If you suddenly find you need more than an eggcupful then I suspect you'll need a recovery truck to get home, not a bit of coolant, such is the way modern engines are.
Cutac

Post by Cutac »

Fake Concern wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 21:20
You shouldn't need to keep coolant in the boot. If you need something for an emergency, then water will do, keep the coolant at home in the garage! Miine has the original pink oat coolant now. It had some green stuff when I bought it, but I flushed it and changed back.

That's true, but if I add 50-50 mix every time, I'll know what the concentration in the system is.
Michel wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 23:57
I haven't carried coolant in the boot for nearly 30 years! There's no point with a modern engine. If you suddenly find you need more than an eggcupful then I suspect you'll need a recovery truck to get home, not a bit of coolant, such is the way modern engines are.

Better safe than sorry :-D
white exec wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 22:48
Water is fine, so long as it is de-ionised/distilled, and you don't use any appreciable quantity of it (risk of dilution). Best to keep tapwater out of your cooling system, to prevent calc forming. Good coolants are made with de-ionised water. If you have 10L of it, you could always decant some into a smaller container.

But 10L is too much. That would be enough for 6-8 years and I somewhat doubt my VTS would still be mine in 8 years.
jsp

Post by jsp »

Which colour is it? Orange, red or?
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Forget colours, they don't mean anything. Different manufacturers arbitrarily choose.
Cutac

Post by Cutac »

I've found out, G12+ goes in there. I'll just flush it and put Total Glacelf Auto Supra in the summer.