Honest advice/opinions needed

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2019

Honest advice/opinions needed

Post by admiral51 »

Not sure where to post this so posted it here :)

I have decided get rid of my 2008 C5 X7 Turbo Fault but i am in an unusual position ( no not like that :roll: )

Yes i need to post some pics but this is just me thinking aloud and hoping you lot will give me some good advice.
I have given myself until 15th of Dec to do something with it, then i need the space to work on my Xantia over christmas.
I do not have the space/ability to strip it for major parts like gearbox/steering rack/aircon compressor etc but i would like to see it used to benefit those that have helped me over the years past and hopefully future with all the advice etc.
My conundrum is this....
If i was to put it up for spares or repair i would need to sell it as a project, everything intact nothing removed.
However my lad has just bought a 2010 C5 that i could remove some bits for his as spares or replace not great parts on his from mine .
What do i do, take small bits off and weigh it in or sell it as a project :)

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Honest advice/opinions needed

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Depends on whether he has the same engine / options as yours, but for the sake of the odd bits he may need (and remember the steering rack and other parts may be different for his model too) I think you'll be better off selling it as a complete project. Otherwise you'll end up regardless with a carcass and bits everywhere as it is slowly broken and sits there rusting.

admiral51
Donor 2019

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Marc
Different engine spec but i was thinking along the lines of stripping interior bits, wing mirrors, heater control unit, radio, window switch unit etc etc,some will fit his,some i can sell on and then weighing it in if i went down that route.
If i put it up as spares/repairs it needs to be complete and i think that is probably the way i will go, but i have just received a new turbo actuator, waiting on a vacuum sensor then i will try and fit them just to see what happens.
It must go though, SWMBO has put her size 9's down :)

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've gone down both routes when disposing of stuff no longer needed, selling a complete car is obviously easier if it's a runner and can be driven away (even illegally, i.e. not tax or test) some buyers just don't care and will 'chance it' but I find selling it as parts offers the best return financially.

The last BX I broke fetched over £800 and the local scrap merchant came up with a skip lorry and humped the remains away for free.

Chris570
Donor 2020

Post by Chris570 »

From experience I'd say sell the car as a whole. The market for bits just isn't there anymore, people don't sell parts because people aren't buying them!

But people do still buy a project (it's how I buy most of my cars!)

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree, sell complete for a car of this age with this fault.