Honest advice/opinions needed

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Honest advice/opinions needed

Post by admiral51 »

Not sure where to post this so posted it here :)

I have decided get rid of my 2008 C5 X7 Turbo Fault but i am in an unusual position ( no not like that :roll: )

Yes i need to post some pics but this is just me thinking aloud and hoping you lot will give me some good advice.
I have given myself until 15th of Dec to do something with it, then i need the space to work on my Xantia over christmas.
I do not have the space/ability to strip it for major parts like gearbox/steering rack/aircon compressor etc but i would like to see it used to benefit those that have helped me over the years past and hopefully future with all the advice etc.
My conundrum is this....
If i was to put it up for spares or repair i would need to sell it as a project, everything intact nothing removed.
However my lad has just bought a 2010 C5 that i could remove some bits for his as spares or replace not great parts on his from mine .
What do i do, take small bits off and weigh it in or sell it as a project :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Honest advice/opinions needed

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Depends on whether he has the same engine / options as yours, but for the sake of the odd bits he may need (and remember the steering rack and other parts may be different for his model too) I think you'll be better off selling it as a complete project. Otherwise you'll end up regardless with a carcass and bits everywhere as it is slowly broken and sits there rusting.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Marc
Different engine spec but i was thinking along the lines of stripping interior bits, wing mirrors, heater control unit, radio, window switch unit etc etc,some will fit his,some i can sell on and then weighing it in if i went down that route.
If i put it up as spares/repairs it needs to be complete and i think that is probably the way i will go, but i have just received a new turbo actuator, waiting on a vacuum sensor then i will try and fit them just to see what happens.
It must go though, SWMBO has put her size 9's down :)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've gone down both routes when disposing of stuff no longer needed, selling a complete car is obviously easier if it's a runner and can be driven away (even illegally, i.e. not tax or test) some buyers just don't care and will 'chance it' but I find selling it as parts offers the best return financially.

The last BX I broke fetched over £800 and the local scrap merchant came up with a skip lorry and humped the remains away for free.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

From experience I'd say sell the car as a whole. The market for bits just isn't there anymore, people don't sell parts because people aren't buying them!

But people do still buy a project (it's how I buy most of my cars!)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree, sell complete for a car of this age with this fault.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting