C5 mk1 alternator.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jrc5
My Cars:

C5 mk1 alternator.

Post by jrc5 »

So the bearings have gone in the alternator (it's definitely not the clutch pulley as mine doesn't have one on the alternator).

Is it possible to replace the bearings in them? I can't seem to find any listed for the alternator on the net.
citro6hydra
My Cars: C5 2006 2.0l petrol auto
C5 2007 HDI auto
C5 2006 HDI
C5 2006 HDI bought damaged under repair

Re: C5 mk1 alternator.

Post by citro6hydra »

Hi, the answer is yes, if you know the specific make/type of alternator you may find a bearing listing somewhere but it will probably be quicker to dismantle the alternator look at the number on the bearings and buy a new pair. It is a fairly easy repair.
Also of course check the brushes and slip rings although they are usually even at quite high mileages.
Hope this assists
jrc5
My Cars:

Post by jrc5 »

citro6hydra wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 00:01 Hi, the answer is yes, if you know the specific make/type of alternator you may find a bearing listing somewhere but it will probably be quicker to dismantle the alternator look at the number on the bearings and buy a new pair. It is a fairly easy repair.
Also of course check the brushes and slip rings although they are usually even at quite high mileages.
Hope this assists

Thanks for that information, I have found a replacement alternator on the evilbay for £35, think I'll buy that to stick on the car and then strip mine down whilst it's not in use.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You should be OK with that, I have never bought a new alternator since they were invented, in fact I don't think I have ever had one fail except in the very early days on a Vauxhall Cresta which seized up and I burnt my fingers on the pulley as the fan belt had been skidding on it.

Peter