Citroen AX MK1 Rear end smash

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rubjonny
My Cars:

Citroen AX MK1 Rear end smash

Post by rubjonny »

Ok my GF has had an accident in her G reg Citroen AX and I would like to see what/if I can sort it meself. The rear bumper although intact is bent at a slight downward angle and the towhook is bent down, but apart from that you can hardly see any damage from the rear. The rear quaters LOOK undamaged, but obviously cant be sure.
The first thing I would like to know is there anything I should be wary of when removing the rear bumper, e.g. do any bolts support anything else major, any clips that I will likely need to replace when I remove it etc. Also is the metal frame behind the bumper something that I can unbolt and easily replace myself, or is it welded to the boot floor/quarters etc. I can post up some pics if this will help?
As a secondary thing, I was thinking that while I'm there I could replace the bumpers with more up to date smooth items and spray them, is perl silver a difficult colour to match?
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Hello.
You can remove the rear bumper easily, nothing to be wary of, apart from the plastic clips that hold it on are a bit flimsy so perhaps a new set might be needed.
The metal behind the bumper is spot welded to the boot floor etc.
Its easy enough to replace the rear bumper for the newer style done but it wouldnt match the front or arch extensions if it has them.
My 1st AX was Pearl Silver & i had some spraying done, it looked ok. not quite as "Pearly" but still silver. but then again old paint does tend to fade so you'll probably never get it spot on [B)]
the AX i have at the moment had a similar acident but a bit smaller by the sounds of things, & one thing i would be wary of is check all around the back for any damaged/cracked/bent bodywork & make sure you sort that too, mine had a bit on the underside that was never fixed by the previous owner so when i got it it need a whole load of welding !!
Good luck & good on you for keeping the AX on the road!![:D]
P.S. now might be a good tikme to change the MK1 left cluster for the Mk2 with the red reverse light. (looks loads better)[:D]
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

As the tow bar took a good hit by the sound of it, check the braces under the boot floorpan for damage. The tow bar is bolted there as well as to the frame behind the bumper. You'd best check for any abnormal flexes/kinks in the bodywork and the floorpan. Good luck.
rubjonny
My Cars:

Post by rubjonny »

Thanks for the info guys, I'll have a look later on!