Back Axel bent c5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gazzaman22
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Citroen C5 (2004-2008) 1.6hdi 5 door Hatch

Back Axel bent c5

Post by Gazzaman22 »

Another day.... another episode!
C5 II 5 DOOR SALOON 1.6 HDi 110 particle emission filter (DV6TED4) Manual gearbox 5

So after getting the old lady serviced, 1 front bearing, new front discs and pads both sides....
Went to do back discs and pads.... got one side done and garage man realised that the back axel on one side is bent 😣

I would have scrapped it initially but have a good bit invested in it now. Is it worth the hassle of putting in a new/second hand axel.

There are 180,000 miles on it now. I was told I could get a bare axel for 100 or so...no more than 150. But Labour will be the big cost. Plus any other problems run into replacing axel....and sure there always is

Any advice wether it's worth it or not.
Thanks
teuski
My Cars: -=X7|C2|AX|XM=-

Re: Back Axel bent c5

Post by teuski »

I suppose "bent axle" means that the bearings of the rear arm are broken. Changing them is not a big deal, especially if your mind is already set on the possibility of changing the whole real axle :)

Well, that isn't so hard either, but i suggest you try some other mechanic with experience on C5 rear arm bearings...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would suggest that you take the car to somebody who knows Citroens first. I am sure (but I could be wrong) that your C5 will have hydractive suspension, which means independent all round. While there is an anti roll bar linking the rear wheels, there is not a rear axle. However, there are rear arm bearings (your C5 will have rear arms), and these will eventually fail. Getting these done (by a garage who knows what they are doing) shouldn't be too expensive.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Simple76
My Cars: Citroen Bx

Post by Simple76 »

Have done several kits are available. Worst part is getting the rear brake calliper off. The bolts are very often seized in the calipers. Also pain to try and get back in on your own . Also you the abs sensors can be a pain.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Not saying the axle is bent............but there is an axle/subframe. There was bother with them when C5 first came out. I think that the harmonic dampers were part of the fix. Those are the stubs that hang down where most people seem to support the vehicle ( I have good sills for that). There was a new cast alloy axle on Ebay for about 20 quid a few months back.
It'll be the trailing am likely yes. Be aware that almost all the kits available at reasonable cost, have chinese bearings. I have a kit here to do on The Donk. I don't know whether to use the kit and put Timken bearings in, instead of the no mark bearings with kit.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Malcolm (Citronut) threw together a parts list recommendation for trailing arm bearing repair.
Here.