1.8ltr Picasso missfiringa

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris Handley
New User
My Cars: 1.8ltr Picasso, 2002, silver and a valued part of the family, around 80K miles and counting.

1.8ltr Picasso missfiringa

Post by Chris Handley »

Hello I wonder if you can help. A quick bit of history, recently the engine lost power and the car became difficult to drive. Once home checked underneath and the CAT was glowing cherry red. Had the CAT changed then it started running very unevenly/misfiring terribly.

Have changed the plugs which were in poor condition and checked compression, all cylinders are the same.

Have been checking the 'net and many people suggest changing the coil pack, before doing so I wanted some help/advice. The coil pack loom connector looks damaged to me. I attached a couple of photos, can anyone tell me if it should look like this?

I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting time or money!

Many thanks

Chris
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 1.8ltr Picasso missfiringa

Post by wheeler »

The connector looks fine to me, there are only meant to be 3 wires in it, the bit that looks different is just a blank.
As far as the problem goes the cat would likely have been glowing cherry red because of the misfire, the unburnt fuel due to misfiring would have been burning inside the cat causing it to overheat & the sometimes melt the insides. Do not keep driving the car with a misfire or you could wreck another cat.
picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

Post by picassodad »

Im a newbie on here so interested in your plight, the lad has a similar car etc..

post a pic of the old plugs as sometimes they can tell a story.

Oil consumption ??

Misfire, hydraulic tappets on these according to haynes, so regular oil changes and flushes ??

Compressions all similar, what value, 10 : 1 compression ratio on these again according to haynes.....

You have a diagnostics ??

The coil pack is one unit, any signs of "tracking" ( look under very low light at night you may see small lightening flashes during misfires ) and or cracking on the coil pack ?

The terminals look clean enough but could be a little bit brighter, pug suffer from bad electrical connections sometimes, but I'm still very much a tyro with them/these.

I understand that "nodes" can be used to "see" fuel ign signals ??
picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

Post by picassodad »

PS when is fuel filter due for changing, as you had a loss of power.....