RADIATOR SEALERS ????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

RADIATOR SEALERS ????

Post by paranoid »

I would like to know peoples experiences with rad sealers, things like rad weld etc, Some say the work on matrixes some say they gum up the system, I would like peoples opinion before keeping one in the boot.
Workmate needed new heater matrix and radiator after useing but I suspect he used more than one (bars stopleak I think), when he undid bung at bottom of radiator nothing came out (and I mean nothing just dry powder) the coolant had never been changed in the car (94 td xant) and I suspect this was probably the cause of the problem.
I am thinking of keeping one in just in case the matrix pops!!!!![:D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

No problem whatever in my BX,or on other cars in the past, but if the coolant had never been changed it was probably full of scale and other rubbish.Why did he put it in? normally one bottle will do if its just a small pinhole corrosion leak; if it was a hose or the water pump it wouldn't stop the leaking no matter how much gets chucked in and if this was the case it would just eventually block the rad/matrix.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I have used Barrs or Radweld (can't remeber which) before on a Nova with a leaking rad, but it was horrible looking stuff, all lumpy - could see that blocking the matrix or radiator, especially if you put a lot in! The Forte stuff I put in the Xantia over the weekend was, by comparison, like water, and initial results seem promising on the matrix - mind you it was 4 times the price! I didn't bother trying it on the radiator as that looked beyond help, and replacement wasn't too bad. Time will tell if it causes problems in other areas!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

The reason it was put in is because he tried to change accum sphere with two foot chisel and big hammer( don't ask)[V]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

What colour is the Forte stuff ??
It sounds like the stuff we used to put in our Articulated lorries when I was a mechanic?
If it is it's good stuff lasted over 250'000 miles in new artic that had slight pinhole in radiator when brand new, was going to take it back under warranty but never needed to, we kept a close eye on it too.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Forte stuff is bright pale blue.