1.1 TU high idle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PC2CV
My Cars: 1986 305 1.6 Automatic
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

1.1 TU high idle

Post by PC2CV »

I recently replaced the engine on a 2005 1.1 206.

It was from a citroen but i removed all of the sensors and electronic components from the original engine which had snapped its timing belt.

The car starts now but it idles at between 2500,3000 rpm. Occasionally then idling oddly. This is a video of the issue:

I have tried a number of things

- sprayed wd40 around the inlet manifold to hear for any change in engine noise caused by a leaky gasket, no change.
- checked the vacuum line for the brake servo which is in place securely
- removed the idle control valve, extended the pin and refitted it. Once plugged in the valve retracts back. I have tried another 2 throttle body assemblies. Including one from another 1.1 206. The one from the other car ran fine, i took it off and put it on my car which sat idling at 3000 rpm. Reinstalled the throttle body on the car it came off, that car idled at 3000 rpm for about 10 seconds then went back down to a regular idle.

The ECU is a Magneti Marelli, the car sat inactive for almost a year. I did have to weld a nut onto one of the gearbox bolts to remove it but the battery was disconnected and removed from the car. I am at the stage now of considering that the ECU has went faulty i am wondering if it is the ECU can it be reflashed with an original MAP file (i have a Galetto 1260), or if the ECU has to be replaced what other parts are required along with it?
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: 1.1 TU high idle

Post by wurlycorner »

If the engine otherwise runs fine (which it sounds to) but is idling high/hunting, then it doesn't it all look like an ecu problem to me.
I would suggest something like coolant temp sensor and/or whatever valve the ecu uses for idle control (not familiar with the setup on that engine so don't know if it just uses the throttle body or has a supplementary idle control valve) is it a cable controlled throttle body, or a stepper motor controlled throttle body?
Basically I think it either has lost reference temp of the cold engine so it is over richening, or it has lost control of the air flow entering the engine at idle.

Have you ever let it warm up enough to where the lambda sensor would be working and if so, do the revs drop them?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)