how deep?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jono

how deep?

Post by jono »

I cannot find any reference to the wading depth a Xantia Hdi can go through with the suspension set at the normal ride height. I could not beleive where the air intake is and where the pipework runs. I am surprised the engine doesn't hydraulic when I go through a puddle! Also how do GSF spheres compare to new OE units. The reason I ask is I fitted some aftermarket units years ago to my BX and they completely ruined the ride, I ended up replacing them with OE reconditioned units.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">... is I fitted some aftermarket units years ago to my BX and they completely ruined the ride ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
- how do you know you got the correct spheres ?
It's known that some sellers consider a Citroen sphere simply a Citroen sphere - not a specific Citroen sphere for each model and application on model :
"They're all the same on citrEOns - can you see any difference matey - easy wunes those citrEOns - aynt they ?"
As for drowning the Xantia I donno - but frightening stories about (very !) expensive 4WD's with totally ruined transmission and stalling engine from passing a rain puddle is everyday tales.
Same puddle did not harm a following old wreck of a Vauxhall !
jono

Post by jono »

I had found three different specalist suppliers who supplied the same 'make' of sphere and each quoted the same part numbers for front spheres and a different but matching part numbers for the rear. Where ever possible I get aftermarket component part numbers cross referenced along with the price and if possible, through the web, ascertain who the manufacturer is and ask them what the part numbers are.
Any way how do you know you always get the correct item from the main dealer?
I had a Renault and I went to the main dealer for brake pads. They sold me the correct size pads but with the wrong lining material. Couldn't stop the car the lining material was so hard. Second most heart stopping driving experence of my life!
Cheers
Jono
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't go deep water wading in an HDi as:
1) IIRC the air intake is very low down so you risk sucking water into the engine.
2) the gearbox breather is badly designed and can ingest water which rapidly leads to failure