Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum
User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 10968
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 22:03
x 1459

Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

I have enabled a software extension on this forum that allow easier use of mathematical and other symbols in posts.

You will see a group of tabs above the block of smilies in the editor window.

Image

These select sets of symbols, which are inserted when the corresponding button in the table is clicked.

The feature is experimental, and I may remove it in future if it does not seem to be useful (but any symbols posted in the meanwhile should remain in posts).

A small sample to the 200-odd symbols available: ??????¢£¥€°®¿???????????
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9344
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1942

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by Paul-R »

Interesting. No use for it immediately but in the future, who knows?

The Dæmons
Mañana
Café
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
User avatar
white exec
Posts: 7445
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
x 1751

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by white exec »

Mike, that's a really useful and straightforward addition, which will be used, I'm sure.
Not least this one...
ë
:)
Thanks for adding it.
Chris
User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 28691
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
x 5674

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by myglaren »

Easier than rooting through the Character map, but then I rarely use anything other than "ä, å & ö"
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

I use degrees quite often so that will be useful.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 10968
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 22:03
x 1459

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

Thanks for the feedback.
I may move a few of the symbols around to make the groupings more logical, but that task very quickly becomes circular.
User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 28691
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
x 5674

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by myglaren »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 21:45 I use degrees quite often so that will be useful.

Me too but without thinking about it.

I keep intending to remap the keyboards but it is yet another task that never gets seen to :(
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

I generally use the ASCII / ALT code to get what I want, but this will make is easier.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
wurlycorner
Donor 2024
Posts: 2177
Joined: 30 Oct 2012, 22:37
x 271

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by wurlycorner »

Yep - degrees will be helpful!
--
Iain

'85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (met. blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (met. silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (met. light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & met. green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
'11 C5 X7 3.0 V6 Exclusive Tourer
User avatar
Stonehopper
Posts: 382
Joined: 24 Feb 2012, 16:10
x 118

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by Stonehopper »

For degrees, hold down alt, and press 0176.
Derek
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

No need now, it’s been added with lots of other useful ones to the smiley panel. That’s what I used, but ALT codes are no good for mobile users. 😎
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
white exec
Posts: 7445
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
x 1751

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by white exec »

Not a great fan of auto-correct, but Citroen > Citroën would be good... :wink:
Chris
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9344
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1942

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by Paul-R »

It was explained to me that Citroën makes life difficult for search engines and indexing.

There was a time when the autocorrect here did just that but it was taken off after a short while for the reason given above.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
User avatar
white exec
Posts: 7445
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
x 1751

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by white exec »

You're right, Paul. I'd quite forgotten that.
Chris
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9344
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1942

Re: Symbols in posting editor - Experimental

Unread post by Paul-R »

Maybe autocorrecting Citroen to Citroen though. I have no objection to that. In fact it would scratch the itch I get every time I see the misspelling.

EDIT

HAH! The autocorrect for Cit reon already works!!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson