1.6 HDi (Berlingo) Turbo air inlet coming off / Low temperature

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leftfootleashed
My Cars: 56 Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6HDi

1.6 HDi (Berlingo) Turbo air inlet coming off / Low temperature

Post by leftfootleashed »

A couple of issues with my 1.6HDi, probably unrelated, that I can't get my head round.

The air intake hose leading from the air filter to the turbo (with the vent from the rocker cover) keeps coming off the turbo housing. I presume it only does this under significant load, because I can't reproduce it with the bonnet up. Possibly related: I've been struggling to diagnose the cause of oil in this pipe and have tried to better seal the outlet from the rocker cover, but this doesn't seem to have helped.

Also, the temperature gauge is consistently reading just below 80 degrees (thermostat should be 83 degrees I think) when warmed up (even in this weather). In any other car, my first action would be to replace the thermostat since it's a five minute, £5 job... but wait, a replacement thermostat is a £50 part and it looks like the cooling system will need draining and refilling. Any other possible causes?
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Nothing pulls on the inlet pipe as it's not attached to anything except the airbox. Make sure the surfaces are clean and mated properly and the clamp is on tight. It shouldn't blow off even if there was tension on the inlet pipe itself.

Which leaves blowback from the turbo. Are the vains sticking? Is the balance shaft solid?

As for the thermostat it does come as a housing and although it's not a hard job it's bloody fiddly.
leftfootleashed

Re: 1.6 HDi (Berlingo) Turbo air inlet coming off / Low temperature

I've put it back on quite a few times, each time cleaning out the oil inside and on the turbo housing and tightening it as tight as I can get it.

I've just replaced the turbo core, but it was doing the same thing with the old core. Could it be back pressure from a blocked DPF?
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Quite possible that the DPF is blocked or seriously restricted, especially as the problem still arises with the new core. A session on Lexia would say what % blocked. Alternatively remove the filter, split it, soak it in Mr Muscle, jet wash it for ages and then let it dry out in the sun for a few hours.
leftfootleashed

I haven't delved into this Lexia stuff yet, but I'm familiar with OBD2 from other cars. Is this something an OBD2 reader would be able to pick up? Is there a specific sensor for the DPF or do you have to infer it from the MAF?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The generic reader probably will not understand the propriety coding used, whereas a Lexia clone can understand what a PSA vehicle is 'saying'.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Bick

Post by Bick »

They modified that air induction pipe you are having trouble with - check you have the modified part or it will keep coming off no mater what you do.

Berlingo vans run cold even in this weather mine runs about 80 and only ever goes up to 90 when the weather is red hot and im stuck in traffic for a long time. When the weather is normal Uk weather say 20 deg or less you will never get the temp up to 90 no mater what you do - apart from sitting there with your foot on the gas at 3k and above - it takes ages to get the cooling fans to come in they are so thermally efficient. But then the mpg is very good.
leftfootleashed

The generic reader probably will not understand the propriety coding used, whereas a Lexia clone can understand what a PSA vehicle is 'saying'.
I thought that would probably be the case. Ah well, might have to invest.
They modified that air induction pipe you are having trouble with - check you have the modified part or it will keep coming off no mater what you do.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that. Any idea how to tell? I also wondered whether the problem might lie in the rocker cover itself, which is where the actual vent for excess pressure is (which apparently relies on sealing in the induction pipe for back pressure to keep it closed).
Berlingo vans run cold even in this weather mine runs about 80 and only ever goes up to 90 when the weather is red hot and im stuck in traffic for a long time. When the weather is normal Uk weather say 20 deg or less you will never get the temp up to 90 no mater what you do - apart from sitting there with your foot on the gas at 3k and above - it takes ages to get the cooling fans to come in they are so thermally efficient. But then the mpg is very good.
What engine do you have in yours? I found in my old 2.0HDi it was very slow to warm up too (as you say, must be more efficient, but a pain in winter when it's freezing and the blowers are cold for the first 10 minutes!). I did find it would get warm in traffic occasionally though (including this winter queueing on the motorway when it was shut due to snow). That would sit at an indicated 83 most of the time though, which is the opening temp of the 'stat. My newer 1.6HDi is supposed to have the same 'stat opening temp, but sits about 77-78. I'm a bit worried that it running cold is going cause it to clog back up (just cleaned out tonnes of carbon from the EGR) and make it less efficient.
Bick

Post by Bick »

1.6hdi 16v 2008 no dpf
Last edited by Bick on 25 Jul 2018, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Bick

Post by Bick »

The pipe will have an orange ring on the turbo end and the clip is different
leftfootleashed

My pipe has an orange bit inside at the turbo end, but the clip is just a normal jubilee clip.
Bick

Post by Bick »

leftfootleashed wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 10:42 My pipe has an orange bit inside at the turbo end, but the clip is just a normal jubilee clip.

Sounds like you need the modified part and clip - the jubilee clip is someones attempt to keep the pipe on, seen it before. Maybe i was wrong about the orange bit!? but you do need to replace the pipe.
leftfootleashed

Had a search through some images online... I can't find an (obviously) different design of pipe, but you're right in that on some there is a spring hose clip like the type you get on rad hoses on some. Lots of jubilee clips too, though as you say, they could have been replaced. I can't see how they would give any more pressure than a tight jubilee clip though.

You can also buy the orange bit separately, which might be worth doing if mine has hardened with age and been contaminated with oil: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182614173244?rmvSB=true

However, I think I need to work out if there's excessive pressure forcing it off first.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I posted this pic in Michel's blog. This was our 08 1.6 HDi C4 Picasso - came from the factory with the orange insert and jubilee clip. No issues with it coming off - quite the opposite first time I took it off, I had to get a tyre lever behind it! There should be no pressure in there as it should be sub atm as the turbo is sucking - but the pipe is also connected to the crankcase breather, so if the engine is breathing a bit heavy, then it might be pushing out more via the breather that could push the pipe off. I would clean the turbo spigot and pipe well with meths or something to degrease it, then crank the jubilee up with a socket.
RichardW wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 09:11 PS... picture of Garrett turbo - it is clearly marked with Garrett cast into the air outlet housing.
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

It's worth pointing out it's not any old jubilee clip but is a worm-drive type clamp that is perfectly matched to the shape & size of the orange sleeve.

Are you still intentionally overfilling the oil?