Asking for your opinion regarding C5 2010

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Asking for your opinion regarding C5 2010

Post by atr »

Hi
I would like to hear your opinion regarding C5 manufactured 2010, petrol engine 1995cc which I'm considering to buy. among other things - after how many kms/miles the timing belt needs to be replaced, since the vehicle ran ca 150k kms?
Thanx.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Asking for your opinion regarding C5 2010

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Avi

The 2.0 Petrol X7 timing belt needs changing 87,500 miles (140,817 KM) or 10 years whichever is soonest for 'Normal' Driving conditions, or 70,000 miles (112,654 KM) or 10 years for 'Arduous' conditions. Arduous can mean 'spirited driving' or dusty / very hot conditions. So in your case it is overdue if it hasn't already been done.

Say hi to Prince William - I think he's in your neck of the woods at the moment :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Hi Marc
Thanx for the info. I guess that the timing belt changing has to be taken into consideration. I would also appreciate any other general info. is it considered reliable? transmission trouble, etc.
Yes, the prince is here and from what I can see on the tele, he has quite a full schedule. I only hope that he enjoy it, or at least, a part of it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are a few articles and threads about the X5 (X7) Avi, but a few observations:
  • There are well-documented issues with the steering racks on the X7 - having said that, you may be more protected over in Israel being in a much warmer climate than we are. I, like many other X7 owners in the UK and indeed on this forum are on their third steering rack! The central pinion rusts from water accumulation and then sits on the seal area and slowly, the rust deforms the shaft and ruins the seal causing a fluid leak. Whether it is a combined symptom of bad design and the salt put on the roads here that causes it we don't know - but no other models seems to have suffered as badly (if at all) as the X7.
  • Manual gearboxes - fine no issues at all. AM6 Automatic - fine - very robust, but do change the oil as on the old AL4 and it should server you well
  • Piloted Manual (on the 1.6 - forget - don't bother.
    Sometimes the front driver side (right in the UK) can lea, needing a replacement - these are non-repairable and do not have the leak back return pipes of the MK I or II.
  • The wipers are independently controlled with separate motors in a master / slave relationship, and these can suffer with water ingress needing replacing.
  • Windows regulator wiring can snap (again I suspect rust related.
But as you can see most of the above would appear to be water-related - so risk may be substantially reduced in hotter climates. So good rust / water proofing, plenty of silicone oil on vulnerable parts and you should be fine.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc