1.6 HDI removal as a big greasy lump

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

1.6 HDI removal as a big greasy lump

Post by Stewart(oily) »

have in prospect a head gasket, clutch and cambelt on a 1.6 HDI Pug 307 I have done lots of work on BX, Xantias etc and used to remove the engine and box whole to make things easier, having attempted other jobs on stuff equipped with this engine I really fancy dropping the whole lump on the floor, anyone done this ?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 1.6 HDI removal as a big greasy lump

Post by RichardW »

Cambelt is easy enough. Head is a right PITA as you need to get the injectors out, and they may well not be cooperative!! Garage that did the clutch on our 1.6 C4 Picasso dropped the subframe, but I reckon that the box would come out without - note that there is a bolt behind the DPF which needs to come out. Somehow, the garage manged to get this out without taking the rad out on ours; no idea how, I couldn't get the shield off without taking the rad out! I reckon the lump would come out the front easy enough, but you would need to get the AC degassed, as I don't think there is enough play in the pipes to move it aside. I would try and remove the injectors first, be easier without the engine moving about and if they really won't come, then you can consider sticking a new lump in it!
Richard W
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: 1.6 HDI removal as a big greasy lump

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Thank you for that Richard, I did a clutch on an older 307 (2.0 HDI 90) which also needed the subframe dropping, it was initially offputting as my previous experience I always struggled around them ZX TD was the worst! the subframe proved easy to remove and the access was then superb !
I managed to remove injectors from a 1.6 HDI a few weeks ago,( The black death!) I treated the injectors for a week with a mix of ATF and diesel, then got the engine hot and out they came ! its just the access that concerns me, hence my desire to pull the whole lump out, these cars were not designed for ease of anything ! I think the engine is designed to come out of the bottom so my plan might be to remove the aircon compressor from the engine and leave the pipework connected.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.