Egs gearbox clunking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onix45
My Cars: C4 2013 eHdi 1.6

Egs gearbox clunking

Post by onix45 »

Hello again,

So i have been traveling around europe for a few weeks and it seems my gearbox developed a problem, maybe from going fast on many autobahns. At first i thought it was the calibration, but i have recalibrated it a few times without improvement.
When the gearbox changes gears it makes a kind of clunk noise. It sounds like a double clunk, so i am assuming it clunks once when it pulls it out of gear and once again when it puts it into the next gear. It happens more when the car has warmed up a bit. And it seems like it sounds louder when the gear changes when braking than when accelerating. It doesnt happen on every gear change, it seems to happen less in 5 and 6 gear, and i cant seem to find a 100% way to reproduce it.

I have done some searching and found that it could be one of the engine or gearbox mounts, or even some steering rack problem.
Any suggestions on where i should look for the problem?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Egs gearbox clunking

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you sure this is isn't your Anti Roll Bar drop links or your driveshaft (CV joint). Normally you will hear a clunking on acceleration and braking - the fact that it is happening when your auto box is changing gear is a similar effect to a manual when pulling away or braking.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
onix45

Post by onix45 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 May 2018, 20:20 Are you sure this is isn't your Anti Roll Bar drop links or your driveshaft (CV joint). Normally you will hear a clunking on acceleration and braking - the fact that it is happening when your auto box is changing gear is a similar effect to a manual when pulling away or braking.

I honestly dont know, but just to make it clearer, the sound happens during the gear change, when the car is not under any torque from the engine.
onix45

Post by onix45 »

UPDATE:

a well regarded non-dealer shop told me that the EGS actuator seems to be leaking somewhere, as there are signs of fluid on the bottom plastic cover. However, they said they checked the fluid level and it "seemed to be enough". They told me to go to the dealer as they probably have more experience with this type of gearbox.

Should i be worried that they did not add more fluid? Maybe it is a hard thing to do?

Obviously i am riding with less actuator fluid than there was before, wont that damage the actuator?
I am going to the dealer in a few days. But in that time i will probably ride around 100 more miles in the city. I am worried i might be doing permanent damage to the actuator?
Alex CaraYman
My Cars: Peugeot 508

Post by Alex CaraYman »

Hi, I have the same problem, did you manage to find the solution for this? Thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@Alex CaraYman: The last post prior to your was over 5 years ago, I suggest you create a new topic and explain the issues specific to your vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc