How Much Ooomph....

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

How Much Ooomph....

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I guess it might be to an extent, a 'Piece of String' question, but how much Ooomph is too much?

So I'm changing No.4 Glowplug (behind the pump), and giving it ever increasing amounts of Oomph to get it 'cracked' and thinking to myself, please don't snap on me. Thankfully, it 'cracked' OK and was then straightforward to undo with no need for any to'ing & fro-ing, but I was most definitely sweating for a few minutes.

My preferred tool for such a job would normally be a 1/2" Drive Bar, but coz of the limited access and in order to minimise the amount of pulling grunt I could exert, I instead got my little used 1/4 Drive set out and used that.

I know about the 'work it left & right thing if its tight' but the initially getting it to budge, do you just have to pull it as hard as necessary & hope. I ran it up to temp prior and had dosed what I could see of the thread in Diesel daily for a couple of days previous... I will be buying Plus-Gas very soon too.

I'm mindful that Glowplugs 1, 2 & 3 might soon follow suit in failing and I'm very keen to get them out if necessary without drama.

My spare ZX lump will need to give up further plugs to a good cause (I did undo these successfully with the 1/2 Drive T Bar, but I didn't care too much with these as the HG on that lump is well shot anyway)
Attachments
Glowplug 07.JPG
20180505_201029.jpg
Puxa
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: How Much Ooomph....

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if having a hot engine would help when coming to remove the glowplugs? OK, you are likely to burn yourself if you are not careful, but it may make them easier to remove.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 05 May 2018, 20:28 Image
My first socket set (1978) was identical to that but imperial - had an Hillman Minx that only needed a plug changing - or something.
There was a motor factor at the rear of where I workd, bought it from them as they said it was no more expensive than a ratchet handle and a plug socket (£7) :)

Had it for years but little use on French cars, gave it to a son in law for his minis.

Despite much abuse it never let me or anyone else down.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Get a decent amount of torque on it, then while its under smack down vertically on the top of the extension so the shock travels down through the glowplug. I'd wager it will come undone. I used this on more than one 2CV sump drain plug that refused to come undone whatever we did to it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

A decent manual impact driver, then.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 06 May 2018, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 05 May 2018, 21:16 I decent manual impact driver, then.

You won't get an impact driver that long, and you need the thing under torque when you hit it rather than shocking it with an impact driver.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 05 May 2018, 20:33 I wonder if having a hot engine would help when coming to remove the glowplugs? OK, you are likely to burn yourself if you are not careful, but it may make them easier to remove.

This is not just a good idea but a must - always get the engine hot = removed glow plugs with ought snapping one off but burnt fingers (not really that bad)
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Far rather have the burnt fingers than the snapped Glowplugs, much less painful in all.

I'd say there's a strong chance this set is late 1970's vintage Myglaren, the fella that gave it to me had got to an age where spannering was no longer an option. Just someone who passes by and sees me underneath the motor... nice of him.

He also gave me a much more useful 1/2" Drive set, with AF, WW and MM sizes; one of which went around the head of my very mullah'd door bolt and got that out - that was a good moment I can tell ya; wasted hours on that attempting to weld a nut to the head & the likes.

The Glowplug, yeh did try it warm first, normal operating temp, but second time around it was hot; left it on a fast idle til the rad fans came in.

Sounds like a good call with the Impact Driver Michel, can't remember the last time I used my Impact Driver, must be at least a couple of years; good plan that.

Thanks everyone !
Puxa