Air conditioning hiss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hdi200
My Cars: Citroën C5 tourer 2.2 hdi 200 auto exclusive grey 2012 (current)
Citroën XM 2,1td vsx estate auto bronze 1994 (gone but not forgotten)

Air conditioning hiss

Post by Hdi200 »

Hi all,
Driving my C5 a couple of weeks ago during the brief warm spell highlighted the fact my air conditioning wasn't blowing cold. Ever since I bought the car last November a hissing noise was present when the air conditioning was on, so I bought an STP pressure trigger and gauge along with a bottle of gas. When I clipped the gauge on the low pressure pipe good and bad news it was reading 25psi which was at the bottom end of the normal range. I tried swapping fan relays but to no avail. I then clipped the gauge back on 25psi, bit of a head scratcher, this time I started the engine, bingo! 5psi on the gauge. I followed the instructions on the bottle and charged it up. Hiss gone and air conditioning working.
Citroën c5 tourer 2.2 hdi 200 exclusive
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Air conditioning hiss

Post by EDC5 »

Good to hear that it's fixed it.

Currently, mine is also hissing and today it couldn't keep up with the hot weather; so I will soon need to re-gas mine.
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

The engine must be running when you read the pressure. BTW is the gas R134a or one of the natural Hydrocarbon non HCFC/HFC ones?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyKlima-com- ... charge+kit
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Most Citroen models use R134a except the following that use HFO-1234yf:
C-Elysee
C4 Picasso (B78)

The HFO-1234yf is highly flammable and as far as I can see needs to be cooled - so some changes in the systems to use this alternative.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

It may be more but clearly not highly flammable. When used to topup an existing R134a system (so mixing both) it becomes non-flammable.

https://www.coolingpost.com/world-news/ ... flammable/
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

I've just had my air con re-gassed today and can confirm that it doesn't make the hissing noise when the compressor first kicks in now.

I'll use the hissing sound as a sign that it needs re-gassing in the future if I ever hear it again.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It was certainly flammable enough for these car manufacturers to leave the team:-
In December 2012, Mercedes-Benz showed that the substance ignited when researchers sprayed it and A/C compressor oil onto a car's hot engine. A senior Daimler engineer who ran the tests, stated "We were frozen in shock, I am not going to deny it. We needed a day to comprehend what we had just seen." Combustion occurred in more than two thirds of simulated head-on collisions. The engineers also noticed etching on the windshield caused by the corrosive gases. BMW, and VW-Audi agreed with Mercedes and left the SAE R-1234yf CRP Team, stating that the performed tests are not sufficient to fully judge the safety of their vehicles. The German automakers have been leaning towards carbon dioxide refrigerant, which may be safer for both passengers and the environment.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 May 2018, 17:43 It was certainly flammable enough for these car manufacturers to leave the team:-
In December 2012, Mercedes-Benz showed that the substance ignited when researchers sprayed it and A/C compressor oil onto a car's hot engine. A senior Daimler engineer who ran the tests, stated "We were frozen in shock, I am not going to deny it. We needed a day to comprehend what we had just seen." Combustion occurred in more than two thirds of simulated head-on collisions. The engineers also noticed etching on the windshield caused by the corrosive gases. BMW, and VW-Audi agreed with Mercedes and left the SAE R-1234yf CRP Team, stating that the performed tests are not sufficient to fully judge the safety of their vehicles. The German automakers have been leaning towards carbon dioxide refrigerant, which may be safer for both passengers and the environment.

I truly am frustrated with the transition to this new refrigerant for no good reason!

Originally R134a was used as it doesn't harm the ozone layer, no problem, I fully agree. Now they want to phase it out because it's a greenhouse gas.....

Why? R134a is fitted to cars that will spend their entire working life pumping out greenhouse gases, what does ~800ml of refrigerant even matter in the grand scheme of things.

Call me cynical but I think a certain few chemical firms have a lot to gain with a switch to this new refrigerant!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

R134a was less of a greenhouse gas than the refrigerant it replaced. However it was still a greenhouse gas and R-1234yf is very much better still. Manufacturers like R-1234yf (as opposed to other possible contenders) because it can be treated very much like R134a on the assembly line.

R-1234yf is very expensive at the moment. Hopefully recharge costs will come down as it becomes more common.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The new alternative (actually a very old alternative !) of Carbon Dioxide is an interesting step. It uses very high pressures in its cycle - but there's a pay-off in allowing a bit of miniaturisation, but will also run the compressor and outlet side at a higher temperature which could be utilised for rapid cabin heating and/or rapid defrosting of frosty windscreees.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There are lots of good refrigerants, but they tend to either be flammable (eg butane, propane, pentane) or toxic (ammonia - which is a particularly good refrigerant, apart from its propensity to kill you if it gets out!!). CO2 is a reasonable alternative, but it does require rather high pressures to get the correct boiling / condensing temperatures - 20 bar low side pressure to get boiling at around 0C, and 75 bar high side to get condensing at around 30C. Shortly after that it goes supercritical, and then all sorts of interesting things start happening!!

Our new one is filled with R1234yf - hopefully it will be a while before it needs a re-fill.....!
Richard W
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

osx wrote: 07 May 2018, 07:40 The engine must be running when you read the pressure. BTW is the gas R134a or one of the natural Hydrocarbon non HCFC/HFC ones?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyKlima-com- ... charge+kit

Did a refill yesterday with the above. 10 min job and cool air is back. I must have a slow leak as it takes 6 months before it starts hissing again. It will probably happen sooner this time.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

I think this is a blend of hydrocarbon refrigerants, probably a mix of R290a and R600a..... propane and isobutane. I have been curious about trying some of these but thought they were banned due to flammability concerns?