2010 Citroen Despatch 2.0 HDI will not rev

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mercman
My Cars: Citroen dispatch 2.0HDI
Peugeot 307

2010 Citroen Despatch 2.0 HDI will not rev

Post by Mercman »

Hi all

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me!

I have a 2.0 HDI that lost revs 3 times in a 5 mile journey but recovered although now it is in the failed state. No EML!
The engine sounds almost knocky on tickover but is quite smooth. When I try to rev it, it gets to about 1,000 RPM splutters and throws smoke out of the exhaust. I expected to have an injector stuck open but have fitted a used one to all 4 cylinders, no difference.
I have fitted an EGR blank, no difference and have also changed the rail pressure sensor.
I have downloaded it to find no fault codes. I'm not experienced on these engines or diag equipment so am struggling, I am a technician though so understand how things work. My initial download had no fault codes.

I have had bits of advice from colleagues ranging from cam chain slipping to turbo waste gate stuck but cant really see either of these being intermittent and causing diesel knock on tickover.

Can air mass sensors cause this type of issue or is there anything common with these engines that can cause such reactions?

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 2010 Citroen Despatch 2.0 HDI will not rev

Post by wheeler »

Is there a throttle butterfly in the air intake ? if so check its not stuck closed.
Mercman
Peugeot 307

Post by Mercman »

Well, a little development, thanks by the way wheeler.
I had a chat with the guys at my local Peugeot dealer today and we decided it was fuel related.
I replaced the fuel pump and the van now revs fine and sounds fine no load, was swarf in the fuel filter to confirm pump was failing.
The van ran lovely stationary but rattled like a bitch over 1200 rpm when driving.
I guessed that the filings had done the injectors so bought and fitted 4 used but exactly the same very harsh fuel rattle and smoke.
Thats 4 injectors, a rail sensor and a fuel pump.
What the hell else can cause a fuelling issue? I did set the injectors to teach during road test, stop started 6 times with ignition on off.

I cant see much left in the fuel system, help!

Thanks in advance

Tony
Mercman
Peugeot 307

Post by Mercman »

sorry, no throttle butterfly on this model
Mercman
Peugeot 307

Post by Mercman »

Does anyone know if the turbo position sensor can cause fuelling issues on these?
thanks
Tony
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Can you confirm that the fuel pump is making the correct pressure as requested by the ECU? You'll need to view the live data for that.

Also, when you say there was swarf in the fuel filter do you mean the main replaceable paper fuel filter?
Mercman
Peugeot 307

Post by Mercman »

right. I've driven it a few times to get the feel, actually drives fine apart from the rattle and blue smoke sometimes but the noise is there on over-run. I did notice but ignored that half of the fuel pump drive cam section was missing when I replaced the pump and assumed it was old damage. I now cant get the cam chain out of my head (something is badly amiss) and dont fancy replacing the chain and the cam looking at the engine position and I can't be sure of a fix. I've bought a lump out of a crashed 09 mondeo for £150. I'm now looking at just swopping the engine out, got it on a 4 poster ramp but it looks a nightmare!!! I'm going for a front exit, looks tight but doable.
Can anyone confirm that it is possible?
Thanks

Tony
Bick

Post by Bick »

If the pump has been failing the fuel tank will be full of swarf i would advise removing the fuel tank and cleaning then clean all your fuel lines out otherwise the work you have done will be undone again.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

After the fuel pump was replaced in our Xsara we did another 55,000 miles before we sold it on. The tank wasn't drained and we suffered no ill effects.

I suppose it depends on whether the pump lunches itself or not when it fails. Ours did not.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​