Peugeot 106, MOT failure rear service brake imbalance

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Citroen Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (waiting repair, burst hydraulic pipe sent it through a hedge!)
1995 Peugeot 106 Roland Garros (converted from petrol to 1.4 diesel)
1963 Triumph based Spartan Roadster kit car 2.5 litre.
2002 Peugeot 307 Rapier 2.0 HDi (In daily use)
2006 Peugeot 307cc Hdi Sport (Getting it ready for the summer)

Peugeot 106, MOT failure rear service brake imbalance

Post by clydeowenp »

Took my 1995 106 Roland Garros for an MOT yesterday and it failed on rear service brake balance (Left 42 Kgf, Right 112 Kgf Imbalance 63%). Car has been parked up for about 5 years but no problems when last tested. I had taken the drum off and rubbed the shoes and drum with sandpaper. I also checked the auto adjuster was working by backing it right off, replacing the drum, operating the brakes and removing the drum to make sure it had adjusted up. I also checked the pistons were not seized by levering on the shoes to make sire the piston moved both ways. After it failed I removed the drum and shoes and checked the auto adjusting mechanism which was a bit sticky. I freed it up and wire brushed the auto adjust ratchet and tested it again and all seemed good. I worked the piston back and forth again and it seems free. I clicked the auto adjuster up manually until I could just fit the drum, torqued the nut, and applied the handbrake and footbrake several times. The wheel turns freely with no binding or rubbing so bled that side and refitted the wheel. Took it for a retest today and if anything it's slightly worse! This may be because it was wet yesterday but dry today. Handbrake is perfect (Left 85 Kgf Right, 87 Kgf, Imbalance 5%) so I conclude problem is not with the drum or shoes but with the hydraulics or adjusters, probably the former.
I wasn't sure if there's a load compensator fitted so checked the Haynes Manual, seems that was only fitted to ABS models. It does say there's a valve fitted inside the wheel cylinder so could this be faulty? Only things I can think of are wheel cylinder or master cylinder, both of which are expensive. I have a spare master cylinder and wheel cylinder from a doner car but have my doubts if they're any use after sitting in the garage for about 10 years. Haynes manual says wheel cylinders shouldn't be dismantled so overhaul kits aren't available and I doubt kits for the master cylinder are available. Fluid in the master cylinder looks like new but fluid bled from wheel cylinder was dirty so I bled in till it was clear.
I'm a bit reluctant to fit new cylinders because I read another post and this didn't cure the problem. I'm not sure how the brakes are linked (both fronts and both rears or diagonally), haven't looked yet, but I would think if it was a master cylinder fault at least one other brake (the one connected to it) would also read low.
I would much appreciate any help as I want to get it fixed before the 10 days they allow for a free retest. Test centre was very good and checked it without logging in so I don't have to pay a retest but I can't expect them to keep doing this, especially as they're quite busy. Unfortunately this can only be checked at a test centre so unless I find something obvious I'll only know if I've cured it when it passes or fails. If it goes over the 10 days I may be forced to give up, get a dodgy MOT and sell it quick!
Thanks in anticipation Clyde.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Peugeot 106, MOT failure rear service brake imbalance

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I would have a look at how the brake pipes run and give the offending rear another good bleed, if you have a spare flexi brake line for that wheel I would swap that too, they can fail internally and do odd things.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

clydeowenp wrote: 01 May 2018, 22:29 I'm not sure how the brakes are linked (both fronts and both rears or diagonally),

Whether or not it's of help but my Saxo has dual circuit pipes, split diagonally - ie left front with right rear.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Bick

Post by Bick »

Flexi hose or slave cylinder - even if they move they can still be partially seized.
Kerek85
My Cars: C3 Pluriel
C6 lignage
Mondeo v6
Fabia 1.6 cr
Mercedes E220
Xantia activa

Post by Kerek85 »

With the drums off did you try to push both sides of the wheel cylinders in?

One side can seize in, so it only does half the work.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

the Snail Cams on these 'famously' give issues and daughter's car was no exception: check the teeth are in reasonable condition. Could they be worn and even though everything seems ok when you turn the wheel by hand; allowing the shoes to slip 'back' under 'real world' conditions?

Also check the inside of the Drums, particularly for ridges at the 'closed' end of the Drum, could the shoes only be making contact with a fraction of the Drum itself?

I've always done my Brakes up so that there's a very slight rub when I do Drums, if its absolutely 'free' I'd say the Shoes aren't quite as close to the Drum as they should be.

Do em up to that, take it up the road (private one of course), hit the brakes nice n hard (safely!), then jack it up see if the wheel's turning any freer than it was before the road test.

NB: If you've not got it apart yet, get a good feel for how the brakes are now, so that you can take it out and have a 'comparison' of sorts for whether you've successfully sorted em before you put it in for MOT again.
Attachments
DSC01785.JPG
Puxa