C5 Occasional crack noise from front

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

C5 Occasional crack noise from front

Post by red_dwarfers »

I'm getting an occasional "crack" noise from the front of my 2007 C5 estate, it's gradually gotten more over the last couple of weeks.
It never happens at speed.
Always when pulling away off my complicated driveway which needs some back and forward shuffling on hard lock.
Also when shuffling between forward and reverse it sometimes happens or very occasionally, just when turning the wheel on full lock at low speed.

Drop links were replaced as they needed doing anyway.
I'm not convinced it's CV joints as its only ever a single crack noise rather than double.
I've checked all the bolts, they're all done up properly as expected. I've given the joints all a hard wiggle and they seem to be okay though I realise unless they're all split you can't tell properly. Lower arm bushes are all okay.
I'm kind of thinking lower hub joints so I may split them over the weekend and check. If it is those, I absolutely despise that job so I will break the habit of a lifetime and book it into a garage.
Any thoughts?

Around 4,000 miles ago I replaced the DMF, clutch, calipers, pads and discs but haven't done the handbrake cables and tubes yet. I don't recall any play in the lower joints or track rod ends then but hey, they might have worn in the meantime.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 Occasional crack noise from front

Post by Stickyfinger »

Happening at speed or when turning at slow speed, or happening over bumps ?

Are you 100% sure the "Crack" is from the front (as you are sure it is not drop-links).........mostly that phrase is used for rear arm bearings?

(Cheap drop links are known to fail "urgently" :) )
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

If it is those, I absolutely despise that job so I will break the habit of a lifetime and book it into a garage.
Burn the heretic! :lol:

I would check the bbj with the big bar. Mine very occasionally does the crack on that front if I hit the ramp angle coming up drive with some lock on. I have checked the joints and are ok. They will pass Mot this Thurs I think.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Stickyfinger wrote: 01 May 2018, 19:07 Happening at speed or when turning at slow speed, or happening over bumps ?

Are you 100% sure the "Crack" is from the front (as you are sure it is not drop-links).........mostly that phrase is used for rear arm bearings?

(Cheap drop links are known to fail "urgently" :) )

Always slow speeds Alasdair, never over bumps.

Now you have got me thinking, I was reversing on to my drive with my head turned and the source of the noise did sound different, thing is I've been focusing on the front so have been biased. I'll pay more attention to whether it's coming from the back or front.
Is there another 'test' for rear arm bearings?

The drop links are full price genuine Citroen ones from my local dealer (Citroen dealer that is to avoid any confusion :rofl2: )
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

lexi wrote: 01 May 2018, 22:03
If it is those, I absolutely despise that job so I will break the habit of a lifetime and book it into a garage.
Burn the heretic! :lol:

I would check the bbj with the big bar. Mine very occasionally does the crack on that front if I hit the ramp angle coming up drive with some lock on. I have checked the joints and are ok. They will pass Mot this Thurs I think.

Thanks Lexi, I will use a big bar to check for play.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I might check the pads too actually. I'm thinking maybe they are moving slightly.
It's just bizarre that the noise only happens once per journey and it is every time I use the brake. As thinking about it, when shuffling back and forward I use the brake anyway.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I`ve been having a good look this evening and have found a way to consistently recreate the crack/click noise. I drive down the long bit of my drive with my foot lightly on the brake then at the end I put the brake on fully. Both sides crack. I then reverse up the drive then when I get to the top put the brake on to stop and it cracks again.
The sound is definitely from the front and in fact is both sides as I managed to get one side to crack before the other.

I`ve taken both front wheels off and given the track rods and lower ball joints a good wiggle with an iron bar, no play. I`ve checked the tightness of all bolts and they are fine.
All engine mount bolts for the lower, belt and gearbox side are where they should be and aren`t loose.
I removed the pads, inspected them, bent the springs out a bit and refitted.

I`m confident at this stage that the problem is the brake pads moving which I can live with. As to why they are doing it, I guess I probably should have bought something a bit more expensive that GSF specials (642PC0192).
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You say you’ve had the clutch done, I would double check everything around there is tightened up - similar noise pulling away and stopping, turned out they hadn’t tightened up the bolts properly!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 May 2018, 19:57 You say you’ve had the clutch done, I would double check everything around there is tightened up - similar noise pulling away and stopping, turned out they hadn’t tightened up the bolts properly!

Hi Marc, I did think that. The noise still happens if the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch up or if the clutch is held down on the run down.
I will check all the bolts though just to be sure now you mention it.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Fitted the correct pads for the estate ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

They will pass Mot this Thurs I think.
The Donk C5 did pass this morning. Just an advise on a TRE. I have a Lemforder unit in stock, bought when offers were good.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2