Alternative to Lexia / Generic Code Readers

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

Alternative to Lexia / Generic Code Readers

Post by dave_xsara »

Thanks.

I know most people here talk about Lexias in order to find faults. However, we have a number of more recent non PSA cars in the family and I was looking at getting a more modern code reader that would cover all as well as the Citroen.

Are there any recommended home mechanic tools out there that would cover most bases as well as the PSA group? I'd be willing to spend up to £450 for a tool, preferably less. Is there a thread on here about suitable non lexias?
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 22 Apr 2018, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've split this off into another topic and moved it to the Diagnostics Forum.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Alternative to Lexia / Generic Code Readers

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It really all depends on what you want to be able to achieve with a diagnostic tool.

If your main concern is reading and clearing faults, then there are plenty of generic code readers out there very cheaply priced. If you intend to undertake programming, actuator tests, certain procedures then you will need a more capable tool (and of course more expensive.) There are some tools that you can buy add-ons for depending on the manufacturers you need them for - but again they will be more expensive. Some tools can already work with many popular makes out the box - to varying levels - again the level of functionality required will depend on your needs and budget.

It might make sense to buy a cheap code reader first and see if that suits your needs. If you won't need the complexities of telecoding, configuring parameters and actuator tests, then this might suffice. You can always invest in a more capable model if you need to later on - this way you won't have wasted good money on a tool whose functionality you may rarely need.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Are there any recommended readers up to £300? I assume that would be a reasonable amount for a entry level reader.

I've got vehicles from Nissan, Great Wall (!) and my Xsara which I would like to be accessible.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I bought one of these off Jim at Easydiagnostics, seems to work well but I'm not really familiar with all that it can do yet. Jim did all the laptop set up through 'team viewer' and it worked straight away for me, (I've never got the damned Lexia to work)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WoW-SNOOPER-Di ... 01FLLC7MQ

I've also tried one of these which works fine for just reading the codes on my Acer tablet.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MINI-EL ... ntent=All
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The problem you may find is that if you go for a generic OBD code reader - you will have basic limited functionality to read and clear some faults, but little to no other functionality.

On the other had, there are more expensive readers that will allow you to select maybe three vehicle marques that will provide far more functionality including some programming, but if you want additional vehicles, you often have to pay additional activation fees. This type are ok if you only need functionality for a few vehicles, but can get expensive if you need to add more. Also, not all marques are available - so you need to research them.

Then there are the multi-marque units that do most vehicles - bit of course these have a MUCH larger price tag running into the £0,000s.

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I borrowed one of these off my neighbour's grandson when I needed to sort out the ABS/ESP on the C5,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/snap-on-solu ... w56pbMoEd
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

I was looking at one of these. Emailed seller who said it was suitable for the Xsara...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362042432403?ul_noapp=true
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Although that sounds like it does a little more - it will still be limited for PSA vehicles and nowhere near as good as Lexia that of course works with the user defined dealer-specific codes that are not part of the standard OBD II code list. These are left to the manufacturer to define, where a generic code is deemed unsuitable.

Lexia can also do more in terms of bespoke functionality - especially for hydraulic Citroens. The code reader you mentioned does seem a little too specific for my liking in the features and also in the "12 Super Advantages" section - Brake pads,oil and steering angle sensor.....

I suppose you have to ask yourself whether you are going to own any more PSA vehicles in future, as to whether you need a VCI with Diagbox & Lexia and then purchase a generic OBDII reader for the other non-PSA car...

If you are never going to own a hydraulic Citroen, and are content with the basic stuff this reader offers, then go for it, but I personally would want a much better desctiption of functionality by marque before I purchased it, as the general information provided seems to generic to me.

Marc
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Okay - thanks for the reply. We only have the one Citroen now - my Xsara. What I'd give to have the old Xantia with the hydraulic suspension back instead of the rubbish in this car!
There are 3 Nissans and an Isuzu in the family - plus a newish Golf with a relative which has an electric handbrake.

I just noticed the EasyDiagnostics page and it had these ones which are of interest to me:
http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/shop/4 ... l/11295629
http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/shop/4 ... t/11295795
Are you to provide more information on them - as you are posted the thread?

If I was going to purchase another Citroen I think it would be a year or two yet, considering the money I've pumped into the Xsara and out of their lineup only the new proposed saloon is of any interest to me. Their new suspension system is of particular interest considering the ride quality in the Xsara - it sounds like an aircraft taking off on anything but the smoothest of roads.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't have any affiliation with Easy Diagnostics Dave, but should you decide to go ahead and order anything from them, don't forget to let me know via a PM so I can set up your FCF discount authorisation for you.

There is a review (fram Autel) on the MD808 Pro here:

and one from a user pointof view here:

The second one - Vpecker (cracking name!) is reviewed here - but I note after the forst year they charge for updates! so be aware:

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

dave_xsara wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 12:44Their new suspension system is of particular interest considering the ride quality in the Xsara - it sounds like an aircraft taking off on anything but the smoothest of roads.
Rather than an engine or gearbox problem could it be a wheel baring failure?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Paul-R wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 15:35 Rather than an engine or gearbox problem could it be a wheel baring failure?

The noise? I think it is due to poor insulation in the cabin and possibly tyres (Lassa). Wheel bearing is fine - although a CV joint needs replaced as the boot is tore and grease is lost. Replacing it at the weekend.

Rear axle has been replaced fully, but it still seems to be quite a firm ride causing a thumping noise over ridges/crevices etc in the road surface. However, it is much better than before when it sounded like an old trailer.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I bought a second hand Launch c reader it does many cars but only does engines, airbags and ABS. My mechanic has this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-R3-CDP- ... 1438.l2649 but I think his is genuine. gendan.co.uk sell a foxwell handheld unit fairly cheap they are a reputable company
Oh buggle