Xantia Gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia Gearbox

Post by froggy »

Hi, my S1 Xantia manual gearbox....I have just noticed resistance when trying to get fifth gear,,,,,, the other gears are ok. any help will be gratefully received, many thanks Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Xantia Gearbox

Post by wurlycorner »

Don't know of anything directly relevant to Xantia boxes (if there are any common 'known causes' on them, I'm sure someone will be along shortly) but...
These things are normally caused by either a bent fork inside the box, stiff part of the linkage that operates only for fifth, dragging clutch (not disengaging properly), worn syncromesh or low box oil level.
The last one is the simplest to check, so start there :)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Re: Xantia Gearbox

Post by ekjdm14 »

Isn't an unwinding bolt/collar a known cause of 5th gear issues on some boxes? Not sure what variant, but the fastener in question slackens off over the miles and eventually starts causing 5th to jump out of gear. If it's this, you can probably get away lightly with removing the side plate and retorquing and staking. (I've heard that if it jumps out of 5th once or twice you MIGHT save it, any more and the 'box sustained damage).

Unsure if this is possible with your box as it's "only" difficulty in selection not jumping out, but if so at least it's been caught early! As mentioned though check the oil level first off (PSA manual boxes seem to live long lives even on low oil, but definitely could be a symptom)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k