V6 Xantia Starting fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

raggerminder
My Cars: Currently own an XM and a C1 with a new C4 arriving in September.

V6 Xantia Starting fault

Post by raggerminder »

Can someone link me to the relevant postings regarding V6 starting issues please? Jim and others have assured me the way forward is to fit an extra relay to the ignition system but I am having difficulty in persuading my preferred independents that this is the way to go. My Citroeniste who did the recent cam belt and water pump believes the fault lies with the transmission auto inhibitor switch. What I have found is that a very fit battery is less likely to lead to a problem...

Thanks in anticipat.................................................ion.

Regards

Rob
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: V6 Xantia Starting fault

Post by Stickyfinger »

Whatever the fault is the Mod should be carried out for safety and to preserve the ignition switch, as such it should be the first default port of call anyway.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The relay modification is really needed on Xantia V6s, as the original starting circuit is marginal, and has resulted in a high rate of starter failure due to burnt solenoid contacts. The inhibit function on the transmisssion is part of the multi-switch, which is not cheap to replace, and although I have had the switch fail (the other parts of the switch), I have never heard of the the start inhibit function failing.
The best description of the relay modification is by Jim:
CitroJim wrote: 05 Dec 2009, 22:41 No, I was just playing the joker Stempy. They are seriusly rare by F**d standards!

Right, here's the mod.

First up, a circuit of the standard starter circuit. 1005 is the violet start inhibit relay...

Standard V6 Starter Circuit

This is the Modified circuitshowing the additional relay.

I took the live feed for it from the unused (in my case) Engine Bay fusebox F6 which feeds the headlamp washer timer relay which if fitted sits next door to the start inhibit relay (violet) in the engine bay fuse box.

I carefully removed both the unused washer relay base and the start inhibit relay base from the fuse box by releasing their holding tangs and rotating them a few degrees in their bayonets to release them.

I then carefully prised off the red underside insert on the relay bases to allow the wires, complete with the spades, to be removed from the bases.

I left the wires to pin 5 (supply from F6) and Pin 2 (earth) in place on the washer relay base but removed the wire from pin 4, insulated it and hid it away. The wire to pin 3 I cut to about an inch and a half long. The wire originally to pin 1 I cut about an inch and a half long and removed it from the base to give me a tail with a relay spade connector on the end.

From the start inhibit relay base I removed the wire going to pin 5 and moved it to pin 1 on the washer relay base. I inserted the tail I removed from pin 1 of the washer relay base into pin 5 of the start inhibit relay base and then jointed the ends of the wires from pin 5 of the start inhibit relay base and pin 3 of the washer relay base with a butt crimp.

Refit the red relay base inserts.

Insert a black 25A relay in the washer relay base and job done! Enjoy a reliable starter!

Another mod I did was to do away with the two-pin connector by the aircon pump that carries the starter solenoid feed. It's a single white wire in black curly trunking. I replaced the connector with a butt crimp as the connector is barely up to the job.

If you do have headlamp washers, you'll have to mount another relay base somewhere else but you can still "borrow" a supply from F6 as you won't ever be washing headlamps and starting at the same time!

I hope that makes sense....

Just to complete the diagrams. This is the circuit of the headlamp washers showing F6 and the washer timer relay 5400 to indicate the wires you're borrowing for the mod.
I would recommend running a new wire from the relay direct to the starter solenoid, as the original wire is a little bit light for the current (even before the connector under the A/C compressor gets corroded).

[Edit] All the above is written for a 1997 mk1 V6. The MK2 is the same circuitry, but wiring details and relay location may differ.
raggerminder

Post by raggerminder »

Well that's why I come here!! Many thanks both, I now just need to get someone with skills to do the job.

Also, wish us luck, it's off for MOT today/tomorrow...

Then it will be the cruise to fix, and then?? I just hope the pleasure of driving such a capable and unusual car doesn't pale too quickly.

Regards

Rob
raggerminder

Post by raggerminder »

Serviced and a clean MOT! Sorted until next May!
raggerminder

Post by raggerminder »

He said with unusual and unrealistic optimism...
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Result on the MoT Rob .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.