Xantia misted

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Xantia misted

Post by Stickyfinger »

Afternoon chaps/chap'ss's

I was driving along all happy in the rain, all OK, demist vents set on foot/screen and 1/2 warm, air from outside. The road was wet from the rain, I then drove over some running water (not a puddle) and Woosh, all misted in an instant ! Later down the road, same thing and zero problems

Now this has me perplexed
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Xantia misted

Post by bobins »

I'm guessing your windows hit dewpoint for a short while.
If you keep the following in your head whilst driving along you should be able to predict if/when it's next going to happen :-D

Relative humidity gives the ratio of how much moisture the air is holding to how much moisture it could hold at a given temperature.

This can be expressed in terms of vapor pressure and saturation vapor pressure:

RH = 100% x (E/Es)

where, according to an approximation of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation:

E = E0 x exp[(L/Rv) x {(1/T0) - (1/Td)}] and

Es = E0 x exp[(L/Rv) x {(1/T0) - (1/T)}]

where E0 = 0.611 kPa, (L/Rv) = 5423 K (in Kelvin, over a flat surface of water), T0 = 273 K (Kelvin)

and T is temperature (in Kelvin), and Td is dew point temperature (also in Kelvin).

So, if you know the temperature, you can solve for Es, and substitute the equation for E into the expression for relative humidity and solve for Td (dew point).

If you are interested in a simpler calculation that gives an approximation of dew point temperature if you know the observed temperature and relative humidity, the following formula was proposed in a 2005 article by Mark G. Lawrence in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society:

Td = T - ((100 - RH)/5.)

where Td is dew point temperature (in degrees Celsius), T is observed temperature (in degrees Celsius), and RH is relative humidity (in percent).
https://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/dochelp ... point.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In my experience the Xantia is the worst car I've ever known for misting up... They'll do it at the drop of a hat...

My Activa was the worst of all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Bobins, cheers for that :)

Jim, my car normally does not mist up and that is why I wonder where the sudden increase in moisture came from.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
xf1ref
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI 163hp

Post by xf1ref »

It happened to me after a heavy summer rain and only the AC solved the problem. Another phenomenon on hot summer days when the humidity is very high and the windscreen is misted outside due to AC...only wipers can solve this.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

but but but, where did the sudden rise in the moisture come from ? It was not like it was a puddle or was dry on the road, just a patch of running water on an already very wet road which was under the front wheels.
As there is no air intake down there I am still confused as why it happened (it was extensive) and needed the window cracked open and fan on full to clear it.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

Also...

If the inside of the screen in not clean the moisture has something to settle on :wink:

Air con helps to dry the screen but can also create the misting on the outside. I used to get this on the later C4 and finished up using Rainx, but as we know that can have it’s own problems (please don’t start on that one again [-X ).

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

momag46 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 16:24I used to get this on the later C4 and finished up using Rainx, but as we know that can have it’s own problems (please don’t start on that one again [-X ).

Maurice

Alright, I won't! :lol:

I do agree that, getting the glass as clean as possible (inside and out) can help a lot, as that way you remove any 'seed' points for the condensation to form.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 16:28 I do agree that, getting the glass as clean as possible (inside and out) can help a lot, as that way you remove any 'seed' points for the condensation to form.

Yes, I agree too... Keeping the glass as clean as possible really, really does make a difference...

I use a good electronics grade solvent and spotlessly clean lint-free cloths to get the glass squeaky clean... I repeat this as an when needed - every couple of months or so...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The external temperature right at the spot where the running water was may have dropped the temperature of the glass just enough to reach dew point on the glass so any moisture already in the cabin condensed out on the glass. The temperature only needs to change half a degree or so and that's enough in the right circumstances. I get this happening an awful lot in my truck on my way to work - there's just one spot in the countryside going through a small hamlet where my door mirrors will instantly mist over and I have to use the demister to clear them. It never happens anywhere else on my 10 mile commute.
I blame global warming :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 16:28
momag46 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 16:24I used to get this on the later C4 and finished up using Rainx, but as we know that can have it’s own problems (please don’t start on that one again [-X ).

Maurice

Alright, I won't! :lol:

I do agree that, getting the glass as clean as possible (inside and out) can help a lot, as that way you remove any 'seed' points for the condensation to form.

Did I miss this one? :? I don't like Rainx at all, in the dry it seems to leave the 'screen less clear than it otherwise would be (it takes on a kind of oily shimmer, almost as if the car's about to suffer a migraine!) and in the wet it's OK above a certain speed where the water beads get blown away, anything below that though you end up with multiple distracting beads just sat on the 'screen & would need to use the wipers anyway (perhaps more frequently than if the beads had stayed larger and fewer as with clean glass)... IMO there's nothing wrong with keeping the windows clean and using the wipers as they're intended, in good condition they work better than any snake oil...

Bikes, mind, are a different matter and a dash of Rainx on the outside of a visor coupled with a squirt of Bob Heath anti-mist spray on the inside can make the difference between a safe ride and a trip to A&E.

Sorry...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Stickyfinger, In my experience if my Xantia mists up inside, there is some water lying somewhere in the car. If there's no water in the tailgate/boot then look under carpet under the rear seat, if no joy there, then at the passenger side footwell. Don't just feel the carpet, take the door seal trim of and lift the carpet. Feel along tothe front of the footwell till you reach the plastic section running across the footwell and the foam under it. If that is dry all is well butt, if like me it is damp then you have an unidentified leak. I've beem looking for it all winter and now even after a new windscreen its still damp. (check the driver side as well)
Hope thats of use.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Carpets and foam all dry. A couple of weeks ago I found the rear lamp clusters were leaking a bit (damp boot) but the carpet/underlay were not in the car and the carpets etc in the back were dry.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

ekjdm14 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 21:15

Bikes, mind, are a different matter and a dash of Rainx on the outside of a visor coupled with a squirt of Bob Heath anti-mist spray on the inside can make the difference between a safe ride and a trip to A&E.

Sorry...

Ugh no. I'd not put rain-x on any of my visors. Tried it once, it was horrible in the dry. I use a pinlock visor insert which completely stops misting and I've only had vision problems when it's been snowing!
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Stickyfinger wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 20:12 Carpets and foam all dry. A couple of weeks ago I found the rear lamp clusters were leaking a bit (damp boot) but the carpet/underlay were not in the car and the carpets etc in the back were dry.

Fantastic! Glad you found the cause.. I'm still trying to dry mine out after 3 weeks ...I must get the aircon working again :-D
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream