Favourite Places....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Favourite Places....

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

in the course of uploading a video to myglaren's 'Pickled Egg Jukebox' I got to thinking of one of my favourite places.... Scotland

....so a topic about Favourite places. What's yours?

Picture is Chanonry Point, near Inverness, that beach is quite something! The beach by the Lighthouse a few yards from here is also the best place in the UK to see Dolphins from the shore.
Invess Black Isle Chanonry Point 2323a.jpg
Mine also include Amsterdam and Paris, for me; can't separate 'em.

And an after-thought, does anyone else go 'Ah, relax' when they cross Scottish border (northbound). My missus swears I become a nicer person! ...her mate drove to Aberdeen yesterday (about 500miles for us, sounds a lot, but isn't really...specially in her modern Merc' estate - rather a W123 or Volvo 244 tho'), and yes, of course I'm jealous !!
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Favourite Places....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Chanonry Point has appeared a couple of times in my posts, one including probably the most amateurish video of the dolphins from my compact camera, and another featuring another rare spot in the wild a citroneus zedexius at Rosemarkie.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... ry#p489652

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... ry#p489623

I dont know what your border crossing of choice is but the A68 at Carter Bar gives the most dramatic change either way. All of Scotland seems to be laid out before you as you travel north, and as you travel South you are bang into Englands Last Wilderness :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 01 Apr 2018, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I know it is originally Scottish but how about Ireland.

Recorded when she was 9 years old.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

My favourite place is the City of Ibague, in Colombia. It's about 200kms from Bogota to the west. It's conveniently located about 3 hours from everywhere you'd like to go in Colombia :) It's also near the equator, but 4200ft up in the mountains, so the temperature never really gets higher than about 28c, but never lower than 20c - all year round. The only difference in seasons is that in some months it rains a bit more than others. It's big enough and modern enough to cater for all, but only has 1/2 million people, so it's not really busy at all.

We're buying a house there... :)
Attachments
ibague025mr.jpg
ib5.jpg
ib4.JPG
ib3.JPG
ib2.jpg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The New Forest...
Own Work
Own Work
I spend a lot of time cycling around it and occasionally running too...
Own Work
Own Work
This year I'm riding three cycle sportives in the New Forest...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've been all over the world but I've never been to Scotland, Ireland or Cornwall, think maybe it's time?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Yes!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 18:55 I've been all over the world but I've never been to Scotland, Ireland or Cornwall, think maybe it's time?

Ditto exactly... There's large areas of England I've not been to and Wales is still quite a foreign place too..

I have Scotland on the list but I'm not fussy about ever seeing the other two...

Very close to home, another favourite spot of mine is Linford Wood - right in the heart of Milton Keynes and the venue for my home parkrun...
ayla45 - Linford Wood parkrun
ayla45 - Linford Wood parkrun
This is the wood in mid-winter but the lovely thing about it is how it changes every week and how the four seasons can be observed at close range... It's full of wildlife too, especially bird... Their song is magical...

It is a real haven of peace and tranquillity and I love the old place... Walking around it at 07:30 on Saturday morning laying out the parkrun course can be quite magical and a wonderful start to the day :D

The more observant may have noted all my favourite places have one thing in common - woodland...

Maybe two as all are where I undertake my favourite activities...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

FB_IMG_1522651709717.jpg
Sanded beach in the early70'S, where I spent many happy days in the summer, and winter, and the chances are I am in this photo somewhere. Made a fortune pushing cars off the beach as the tide was camping in lol
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

There's a few nice classics in that picture Davie!!!
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My vote goes to Scotland too. We started going to the far north in the '70s and have practically every year since, sometimes twice. We stayed near Wick for the first 17 years and then at Rogart near lairg. Unfortunately we can't go this year as the owners, like us are getting older and can't manage it anymore.

The scenery is beautiful, the roads are much quieter than down here and you can park for free nearly everywhere. The facilities provided by the councils out in the country are second to none. We like Caithness and Sutherland the most and probably know them better than we do Dorset.

Peter

I have some pictures of the beautiful north coastline but I can't find them
Attachments
Scotland 2008 082.JPG
Scotland.JPG
2007_1103cameranew0009.JPG
2007_1103cameranew0088.JPG
Scotland 13 016.JPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That photo of the XMs in the woods is a real beauty Peter...

One of those really special pictures that capture it perfectly :) Worthy of much wider distribution that one ;)

Looks a lovely spot!
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

All the photos of the NC500 that I took last year I have lost, some were on my phone and some on my tablet, and both items got either lost or broke within a week, I had not backed them up so have lost every photo I had. I can get some off Facebook, and some off here but it was most annoying. That photo of the beach with the cars on it could have been taken from right outside my grandads house. What a place to live, looking at that out the front window, and rolling countryside out of the back! Lovely.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Thanks for the link to the Chanonry Point video Neil, with ZX, a video very much on a par with my own in various locations.... (I'm sure, like me, you found it far more practical to video than attempt to photograph the Dolphins, as by the time the camera shutter’s opened, they’ve gone)

Our usual crossing point into Scotland is the M6/M74, but we’ve also used the A1M and I think we have used the A68 Carter Bar also, but on that occasion, on a dull & wet day, the Kielder Forest seemed to have suffered quite severely at the hands of the logging trade; is that Carter Bar in my pic?
Kielder Forest 4171.JPG
Not far from there, Robert Smail’s Printing Works (NTS) at Innerleithen is an unusual and very interesting property; not your 'Stately Home' type of thing. The woman who does the tours originally hailed from Dorset. Hope you enjoyed an Ice-Cream from the stall there Jim (close to the blue Micra & Corsa), it offers an unusually large choice of Toppings so I usually ‘divert’ there in the course of a trip to see Mum or if I'm otherwise in the area. Do get to Wales Jim, specially the Elan Valley and Llandudno. “Big Pit” is interesting too

Deffo time you got to Cornwall Gibbo; I can’t speak for Ireland either way, its never appealed to me, even though I have ‘ancestry’ there. I grew up associating Ireland with Terrorism and was quite shocked recently when my step-daughter advised me that one of her mates was going to Belfast for a bun-fight.... times change eh. That rendition of Danny Boy by Jackie Evancho is amazing tho Myglaren (9 years old!!) and there are clearly some beautiful spots.

I could learn from what I discovered about Cornwall: I'd never fancied it, even to the extent that I never bothered to visit while living in Torquay for the better part of a year (it did coincide with almost a decade of car-less-ness); but having got to The Lizard a few years back, I was really quite impressed with the county.
Don't go to Lands End and judge it by that, coz that's just cr*p, but in general Cornwall's lovely. We especially liked Cadgwith Cove.

Colombia, I can’t even consider Michel, I’ll likely never get there as its not really practical to drive... so outside of our ‘holiday remit’. Looks nice tho’
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

To me, as a Somerset lad born and bred, the Cornish are the enemy.... I don't know why but it's how it is... It was instilled into me from a very young age...

Perhaps I ought to go and make up my own mind...
Jim