C4 Picasso EGS not always selecting 'N' or 'R'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zundapp
My Cars: C4 GP, C4 Picasso, BX diesel x2, GS Club estate...

C4 Picasso EGS not always selecting 'N' or 'R'

Post by zundapp »

There have been quite a few entries on the forum in relation to this EGS gearbox issue, and many suggested remedies. However, no-one seems to have given a definitive fix for the problem. I've tried all the usual remedies, (cleaning the plug/socket connections, making sure all the fuse contacts are sound, replacing the brake switch etc), but to no avail.
My Picasso (an 85000 mile '58 reg diesel) is otherwise in excellent nick and far too good to scrap, but this flaw causes difficulties in everyday use and I can no longer risk parking in multi-story car parks etc. My question is; has anyone found the answer? If you have, please, please, share! :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C4 Picasso EGS not always selecting 'N' or 'R'

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well without wanting to be alarmist, it is very likely that the clutch or one of the actuators may need replacing. But you really need to get the vehicle diagnosed with Diagbox, as that will identify any fault codes present. Once we have those, we can perhaps provide some more info as to the fault.

There are recalibration procedures that can be done on these when required, but you really do need a diagnosis to be honest, as these are very complicated systems. Nobody can really provide you with the answer until we know what the faults are.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's possible it's just the selector switch - my Sister's occasionally fails to know what it is doing and won't let her start the engine; I suspect the switch. However, as Marc says, you need some diagnosis. Not sure where you are on the West Coast, but if in reach of Lanark I will happily interrogate it for you.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Sent you a PM about getting this on the computer....
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Oh, and if it is the switch, a new one is a somewhat -un-amusing £178 :shock: There are a few on e-bay around £40-£50 though....
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I interrogated this yesterday - typically it behaved on the way over and whilst we were looking at it! However, there were faults recorded for the switch, so I think that is what is wrong with it; all the other parameters on the gearbox looked OK.
Richard W
zundapp

Post by zundapp »

'New' switch from '08 scrapper on ebay should arrive Tuesday, cost £30 with free delivery. See the result in due course.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It looks to be as we thought - just remove the 2 screws under the wheel and 'lift' the cowls off. It does suggest that you should reset the gearbox counter if you install a new switch, but I'm not sure what that does. Let me know if it complains, and it can be investigated again!
Richard W
zundapp

Post by zundapp »

Switch arrived as promised on Tuesday - but the car has performed perfectly since my visit to Richard! I know it can't have magically cured itself after several months of misbehaviour, but I'm a bit disinclined to change the selector switch until it shows the fault again. Maybe the threat of having its brains interrogated by Richard frightened it into submission...

Realistically, I'll likely change the switch in the coming week. Update to follow!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Stick to the engineers' maxim; "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
zundapp

Post by zundapp »

Well, I stuck to the engineers' maxim of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' until I was left reverseless at the top of a cul-de-sac... So I fitted my scrapyard replacement gear selector switch - and everything now works as it should. Even the cruise control! So Richards' diagnosis was spot-on.

Changing the switch was easy: using the steering column adjuster, lift the steering wheel as far up and out as you can, pull off the cover with 'R' 'N' 'A' 'M' at the selector lever, disconnecting the electrical connector, then underneath the bottom half of the plastic cowl there are two deeply recessed screws - slacken them, they don't actually come out, and lift the top half of the cowl off. This reveals three screws securing the selector switch - remove these, disconnecting the electric connector - it's held in place with an over-centre plastic clip, then replacement is simply the reverse of all that. Took me about twenty minutes, start to finish.

Thanks are again due to Richard for the diagnosis and pointing me in the direction of replacing the selector switch. I'm no longer afraid to park in multi-story car parks!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

:-D
Richard W