Xsara VTS Air Con Compressor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hedgyhog
My Cars: Citroen Xsara VTS 2.0 16v (2002)
Citroen Xsara West Coast Coupe 1.4 16v (1999)

Xsara VTS Air Con Compressor

Post by Hedgyhog »

Firstly, I am new to these forums despite owning Citroens since 1999. Therefore, hello to everyone and I look forward to future visits to the site. Also, apologies for jumping straight in, but I have searched over an extended period for the information I need and my physical activity has been limited by serious illness since 2003. I am hoping to save my lovely late model VTS which sadly has suffered whilst I have been in hospital or otherwise incapacitated.

OK, I have a late model (02 plate) Xsara VTS 2.0i 16V with full leather and 6 airbags. It was purchased new with all the options I considered essential at the time. Unfortunately, it has suffered about 4 years of inactivity because of the issues described above. It is a superb car and, last time I drove it, still impressed me with its speed and handling.

The main problem at the moment is that it won't start. I have identified the problem has a seized Air Con Compressor. The A/C has not worked for years and I can live without it.

My questions:

1) Do the compressors/pumps vary between the models?
2) Can I source and fit a shorter belt to bypass the offending item?
3) Or can i fit just a pulley and utilise the existing belt?
4) Does the car detect the presence of the pump?
Since the ventilation system is "automatic", will it continue to work and allow cold or hot air into the car based on the temperature set?

Obviously, I need to get the belt moving so I can move the car and start work on the other problems.

I hope the above makes sense to somebody, but I am still taking a lot of Morphine which doesn't help clear thinking!

I hope someone can provide me with some useful information. I really want to keep this car running.

Regards,

Keith
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xsara VTS Air Con Compressor

Post by RichardW »

1) Do the compressors/pumps vary between the models?
Probably... there are also different types fitted to the same variants, and sometimes even Citroen don't know what is fitted!
2) Can I source and fit a shorter belt to bypass the offending item?
Yes, common 'bodge'...measure round the pulleys with string to see what length you need.
3) Or can i fit just a pulley and utilise the existing belt?
Possibly, shorter belt easier though!
4) Does the car detect the presence of the pump?
No
Since the ventilation system is "automatic", will it continue to work and allow cold or hot air into the car based on the temperature set?
Yes, but it won't be able to get the temp down on warm days as there will be no cooled air.
Richard W