Citroen Berlingo DW10 HDi90 Head Gasket / Engine Swap.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Citroen Berlingo DW10 HDi90 Head Gasket / Engine Swap.

Post by fastandfurryous »

Hi All.

Not been here for absolutely ages, but when this issue cropped up, I knew exactly where to turn! Have done a forum search to see if this is a known issue, and have found a couple of threads where the symptoms pointed to OMGHGF, but the work was never actually completed to fix it, so I don't know what is actually possible.

It's a 2003 Bling DW10 2.0HDi90, and it's got all the symptoms of OMGHGF. Pressurising coolant, coolant loss, a couple of overheats, etc.. As far as I can tell, the book time for this is well over 15hrs, which is quite a lot. The book time to change engines is similarly high. At even a cheap garage of £40/hr, that is £600, which writes the car off.

I have, at my disposal, another 2.0HDI90 Berlingo with a decent enough engine. It's had the clutch release bearing stuff through the pressure plate, so it's basically scrap, especially as the rest of the car is rubbish. I can cut this one about as much as I like to get bits off.

I read that to take the head off in situ, the turbo has to come off first, and to get that off, you have to remove the front subframe! Having pulled the engine from an even-more-previous Berlingo 2.0HDi,(don't ask) I can somewhat see that. However, there are comments about pulling the head with the turbo on it as an assembly, much like is done with XUD's. Has anyone successfully done this?

I am considering just heaving the engine and box out as an assembly and then investigating thereafter, either fitting the goodish engine from the other one, or getting the Gasket done with the engine out.

However, if I swap engines, Will I then need to tell the ECU in the car that it is talking to different injectors?

I know XUD's inside out and upside down, but I'm a little lost with this HDI unit. Any and all advise and guidance is VERY much appreciated.
This is not a signature.