C5 X7 suspension.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

C5 X7 suspension.....

Post by milleplod »

Whilst sitting in the car this morning waiting (and waiting...... :roll: ) for my daughter to drag herself out of the house, I thought I'd give the suspension a workout. It moved nice and quickly between normal/low/mid.....but didn't wan't to move all the way to high. It did move up from the mid position, but the info screen didn't tell me it was all the way up. Tried it a few times, but just the same. Its -4 deg here this morning - something frozen up?.....fluid level?..... :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 X7 suspension.....

Post by Stickyfinger »

Sticking dog bone ? , they rust on a C5.

Remember, always support the car if you go under it
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
milleplod
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

Malcolm at Savoy Garage only did them back in December, but I'll pop round to my lift-equipped mate and have a look later.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Also, try it on the button in the boot, see if it lowers/raises on that
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Fluid level may also be a reason - to be sure you really need to depressurise the system with Diagbox to check the levels properly. I have just done this on mine as my pump sounded a little odd last week - and it was a little slow in responding to raising. Now I may be having some battery issues at present that I am aware of, but nonetheless I got it home, got the diagnostic weapons on it and depressurised the hydraulic system. I removed the LDS cap and I could hear the fluid flowing back - but was yet to see any fluid at the bottom of the tank!

Diagbox says wait at least 3 minutes minimum, which I did. Knowing I was going to be checking this I ordered a couple of litres of LDS from Nielsen for a cracking price (using the forum discount code too). I topped it up slowly, constantly looking for the fluid to settle - but it took 700ml of fluid before it finally surfaced!

Completed the operation with Diagbox, exited and then started her up - then the waiting game. The pump sounded a lot healthier to be honest and she started to rise after a few seconds. She seemed to get to normal height and have a breather, then we went to highest setting and she started to comply fine, then lowered and did the steering lock to lock, then back to normal. She has been behaving perfectly normal now.

I had both my height correctors replaced last year for height problems (refusing to raise occasionally), and also had a rear suspension pipe replaced too - so I'm wondering if the garage actually topped her up fully. I've seen no leaks in the system, so will keep an eye out.

All that aside, there are a myriad of back-up modes for the suspension that can prevent height correction depending on faults or other data - not least the relay / short circuits, electrovalves sticking and the like - but without a diagnostic it will be guessing. I'd check the fluid level first Pete (flat ground and using Diagbox if you have one) as this might be a simple solution. Also - given the arctic conditions affecting the country now - it may just be temporary due to the cold affecting a component - I have managed to release the bonnet lock 5 minutes ago - but the plastic 'lever pull' under the bonnet will move, but will not release the bonnet lock, so I can't open it! Plus all the padlocks on the garden sheds are frozen solid DESPITE having just lubricated them all last week! So I would factor the cold in too. I just filled up the bird baths in the garden and they have now frozen solid in less than 20 minutes!

I've got my MOT tomorrow - so fingers crossed my washer fluid is topped up, but as I can't get the bonnet open I can't check it!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

milleplod wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 08:46 Whilst sitting in the car this morning waiting (and waiting...... :roll: ) for my daughter to drag herself out of the house, I thought I'd give the suspension a workout. It moved nice and quickly between normal/low/mid.....but didn't wan't to move all the way to high. It did move up from the mid position, but the info screen didn't tell me it was all the way up. Tried it a few times, but just the same. Its -4 deg here this morning - something frozen up?.....fluid level?..... :?

Pete

This sounds exactly like the issue mine has.

Mid-High position is fine but when i tell it to go all the way up it lifts a bit but never says so on the dash. After a while i hear the pump straining like mad as the fluid is obviously leaking past the pressure relief valve as the struts are already at full extension.

I confirmed the same with Diagbox, the target height is never achieved by the sensor when set to the highest setting for some reason.

Marc provided me with the procedure for recalibrating the vehicle height, but that didn't seem to sort it either. I suspect the fault lies with the height sensor itself not registering the height properly causing the BHI to continue trying to lift the already fully extended struts.

I'm just living with it at the moment, occasionally cycling between low and med-high as the replacement height sensors aren't cheap enough to change speculatively.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Its only 3 or 4 days since I last cycled through the suspension settings, everything was working fine then. Fluid level is fine. I'm going to leave it till relatively warmer weather to see if its any different then. :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Thought I'd report back on this just in case anyone else has the same issue.

Ambient temps are obviously well up now compared to last week, so I gave the suspension a workout this morning - its working perfectly through the whole range of settings....hurrah! :-D I'll put it down to the 'Beast from the East'! :roll:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is something else Russia has to accept responsibility for! :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!