I'll be leaving you now.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

I'll be leaving you now.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My hard disk has started making turbo whine noises so I've bought a new Crucial SSD to replace it, if I don't come back soon you'll know it's all gone tits up. :shock:
white exec
Moderating Team

Re: I'll be leaving you now.

Post by white exec »

Do we have an emoji for this? :shock:
Paul-R
(Donor 2020)

Post by Paul-R »

Maybe?

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Good luck.... hopefully see you on the other side!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good luck and fingers crossed...

This is a good emoji - [-o<

I do a lot of that when IT is involved :twisted:

Works occasionally too!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Well I'm back, that wasn't entirely as painless as Crucial suggested, the cloning and the mechanics of it went fine but getting the damned computer up and running again gave me a bit of a headache, Windows decided it needed to do a re-install and although it had a 'keep my stuff' box, it didn't, I got a page saying "These apps were removed" and it's pretty well all of the stuff that I use daily, including Office, Windows Live mail etc.

Looking at the help forums suggests that the only way to get them back is to download them again..........and maybe pay for them again :twisted:

I think with a bit of thought I can get them off the old HDD that I removed...............scratching head.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! Welcome back :D
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

Post by van ordinaire »

Whened I bought this laptop I had the shop transfer all the data from the old PC (which needed a new motherboard). I think it cost me £18 - which I considered money well spent.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

van ordinaire wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 00:43
Whened I bought this laptop I had the shop transfer all the data from the old PC (which needed a new motherboard). I think it cost me £18 - which I considered money well spent.

Certainly was van, my problem was with the HDD in the desktop tower so not really something I could take to the shop, even if there was such a place around here.
According to the instructions from Crucial the computer should have started immediately and fast but that didn't happen despite the Acronis cloning seeming to complete as expected.

When I switched it back on it kept getting part way loaded then stopping and asking for a system disk to be put in the CD tray, I don't have a Win10 system disk. (Online updated from Win7),
Michel
(Donor 2020)

Post by Michel »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 11:36
Well I'm back, that wasn't entirely as painless as Crucial suggested, the cloning and the mechanics of it went fine but getting the damned computer up and running again gave me a bit of a headache, Windows decided it needed to do a re-install and although it had a 'keep my stuff' box, it didn't, I got a page saying "These apps were removed" and it's pretty well all of the stuff that I use daily, including Office, Windows Live mail etc.

Looking at the help forums suggests that the only way to get them back is to download them again..........and maybe pay for them again :twisted:

I think with a bit of thought I can get them off the old HDD that I removed...............scratching head.

Just download them. You won't have to pay for them again if they're legal and registered to you. It'll be almost impossible to copy them over from your old HDD because of the specific way they install, register DLLs, libraries etc during the installation procedure.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Sorted most now Mike, I have Microsoft Money to sort but I think I can do that with a simple restore from backup from the old HDD to the new one.

Everything seems to be working OK and it's certainly faster with the SSD.