2007-2009 Berlingo Multispace - thoughts please...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RussellF97
My Cars: 2012 Peugeot 207SW 1.6 Hdi
1995 Citroen ZX Elation 1.9D. Gone but not forgotten

2007-2009 Berlingo Multispace - thoughts please...

Post by RussellF97 »

Hi All,

While 'Old Clanky', my 1995 ZX may still be going OK, unfortunately it won't last forever despite my throwing a moderate amount of money at it over the last nine years.
Casting around for a replacement, the Multispace seems to fit the bill. I'm looking for something that I can just bung a suitcase and the dog in the back and be reasonably sure that I'll arrive at my destination without having to phone the AA several times en route.
Seats should be at least as comfortable - and noise levels as quiet - as the ZX (the best seats of any car I've had over the last 40-odd years and I can hold a conversation at 70mph without shouting). I'm looking at the 90 or 110bhp diesels - I don't drive around as if my arse was on fire but I do like to keep up a decent (legal) average speed. And were DMFs & DPFs fitted by 2009?

Something like this one: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 7lh&page=1

My budget is about £5000 which is why I'm looking at up to about that year.

I've read good things (and the odd bad thing) about the Berlingo Multispace and it would be interesting to hear from anyone with experience of the beasties.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share...
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: 2007-2009 Berlingo Multispace - thoughts please...

Post by Richard_C »

I've always wanted one, they strike me as an excellent compromise for loads, bikes, people, all sorts and decent long range machine. Mrs me says they are plug ugly and she wouldn't ever drive it - I've come close a few times but never actually owned one. One day, one day.

If you use the Channel Tunnel frequently, some models - later ones, modutops, or even just fitted roofbars - take you over the 1.85m mark. It doesn't cost any more to book because its a passenger vehicle but you have less flexibility/availability at busy times. They are all diesels except the very latest ones where puretechs have appeared as an option, and I sense that London is getting very anti-diesel, talk of the ULEZ rules being expanded so it would cost you £10 or so a day to drive inside the A 406 n/s circular ring. Might not be a factor for you, more here:
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/enviro ... nsultation.

The more basic ones have a bench rear seat, I think non removable unless you use a spanner, the posher models have 3 removable individual seats which seems to me to be a better prospect.

Not wanting to be disloyal to FCF of course, but there is a pretty active Berlingo forum - surprisingly called berlingoforum.com - like many car fora people tend to post when they have a problem so it might give a pessimistic view. The campers and conversions section is a joy whether you own one or not - is it a car, is it a van, no its a place to live for the summer.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
RussellF97
My Cars: 2012 Peugeot 207SW 1.6 Hdi
1995 Citroen ZX Elation 1.9D. Gone but not forgotten

Re: 2007-2009 Berlingo Multispace - thoughts please...

Post by RussellF97 »

Richard_C: many thanks for your reply. I have to agree about the looks, but then I remember that it's French and from the inside you can't see what it looks like anyway.

I settled on the Berlingo partly because of an article in Car Mechanics magazine, in which they said it was almost as good as sliced bread. There are other PSA derivitives, Peugeot Partner Combi, Renault Kangoo, but they don't quite seem to have the je ne sais quoi that the Berlingo has.

Thanks for the heads-up about the berlingo forum, that will be my next port of call.
I'm not too worried about pessimistic views because they can be useful for identifying any common faults. Having spent most of my working life either in, around, or underneath various vehicles both large and small, I know that the vehicle has yet to be built that won't break down. The manufacturers have only been at it for a little over 100 years so they're still at the experimental stage. And when the oil runs out we're all back to horses and carts anyway.

Paris is going the same way as London re diesel vehicles. I think it's fair to say that if ever I was lunatic enough to drive my ZX through Paris, then I would probably end up surrounded by gun-toting gendarmes, be marched to the nearest cashpoint, and then told in no uncertain terms to go back from whence I came.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...