2.0 Hdi Partner : Air in the fuel system

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

2.0 Hdi Partner : Air in the fuel system

Post by Element »

I have a 2004 2.0 hdi Partner that has an unusual problem... It randomly goes into acute limp mode without the engine management light on the dash. I lift the bonnet and while its idling, I can squeeze the priming bulb and purge air through the system seemingly from the rail - the air bubbles travel through the transparent fuel pipe that leads back towards the tank. After a while of purging, I can rev the accelerator cable mount and all is ok again - until the next time it happens.

Now the first expectation is the fuel filter allowing air into the rubber seal at the top - but the filter is recently changed (last week) and it has a new rubber ring seal around the top of the housing AND there are no visible air bubbles travelling from the filter to the pump through the transparent feed pipe.

So air is getting in somewhere. There are no visible obvious fuel leaks anywhere that I can see (thinking if air can get in then fuel should leak out - but apparently no). I went to a local Peugeot dealer and spoke to a workshop manager (but tbh he wasn't much help) and have ordered a new part; the one which includes the transparent fuel return pipe with the black plastic fuel pipe from the pump and it appears to attach to the right hand side of the rail. The thinking here is that this plack plastic pipe connects to the pump by means of a 'push fit' connector & perhaps the seal inside it has perished thus letting air in.

The fuel injection pump itself was replaced recently (6 weeks ago for a reconditioned one) so I doubt the fault lies within it; the car runs perfectly fine for some of the time but limp mode and crawls along when the air is in the system.

Has anyone else come across such a situation? Your advice would be appreciated!
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: 2.0 Hdi Partner : Air in the fuel system

Post by moizeau »

Firstly, when did the problem start? Secondly, does the start of the problem coincide with either the pump or filter change. Thirdly, don't assume a new filter doesn't pull air or that a recon pump is perfect. But like I said, if a problem occurs it is due to something changing, whether that is a known change or unknown. Also is the problem slowly getting worse or did it just 'start' happening.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

It began happening randomly after 6 weeks from the HP pump change. It happened before I changed the filter and sealing ring and continued to happen after that too...
I have changed the part order now to the pipe that goes before the pump from the filter housing.. thinking that by principle - the pump pulls and pushes - so its unlikely to suck air into the circuit after the pump because the fuel is under pressure to get out and no air would ingress - it would leak if anything. The aforementioned pipe shows no air bubbles coming from the filter housing BUT I suspect that perhaps the push on fitting for this pipe at the pump end may perhaps be compromised and that is where the air is getting in... I'll know within a couple of days.
I 'get' that problems occur when something changes - but this pipe is 13 yrs old and has been removed and refitted when the pump was changed - so its possible that it isn't 100% anymore... after all - parts don't last forever... here's hoping!
Perthshire
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

Got the feed pipe today, fitted.. done 45 miles so far no further problem..
Perthshire
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Good news, equivalent to re-using banjo washers on the older pumps.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone