Ecu and bsi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Z1ggy1987
My Cars: 1.6 Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi 2007

Ecu and bsi

Post by Z1ggy1987 »

Hi, I was having problems with a blown ecu so my mechanic has got a auto electrician to source me a ecu and bsi kit, the kit is all fitted and the car runs ok, the only problem is the ecu was off a newer car so my headlights are on all the time, I am getting a auto light fault, auto wiper fault and engine fault which they told me was a egr fault. Is there any way to disable the auto lights so i don’t have headlights or sidelights on all the time? What does the egr valve do?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Ecu and bsi

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Simply put - if you have had a donor BSI - then that BSI is retaining all the options and configuration from that other vehicle.

It is normal practice to manually check the actual options fitted to your car such as Auto Lights as one small example - as if you do not have the kit connected and the BSI has been configured as having it, then it can play havoc with the systems.

To do this properly, you would need a Lexia to run through the customer configuration parameters and check the options against your Picasso's specification. Until you do this, you will have these problems. If your BSI came from a European Country like Sweden it could be law for the headlights to be on all the time or DRLs - but as your Picasso of that year doesn't have DRLs, there is a setting that can be enabled in the BSI to activate the headlights all the time. That is just one example / possibility, but I suspect the system is configured with the wrong options.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Z1ggy1987

Post by Z1ggy1987 »

Thanks, so if I find a auto electrician with a Lexia I should be able to sort the problems. what about the egr fault, what could be causing that?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Z1ggy1987 wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 22:00 Thanks, so if I find a auto electrician with a Lexia I should be able to sort the problems. what about the egr fault, what could be causing that?

All sorts unfortunately. The EGR can stick open, stick shut or not move correctly to regulate gas flow. The precise fault code will give you a lot more information about the particular issue with it.
Z1ggy1987

Post by Z1ggy1987 »

Now I have got the car back on the road I am going to source a ecu and bsi with the exact numbers as the original, if I can do this will that sort my problems out? My car had no faults at all before the ecu go fried!!!! I feel like a perfect car has been ruined :-(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not sure you quite understood what I was trying to convey in my last post:-

You can still end up with the same problems - the BSIs and Engine ECUs are often shared between different vehicles within the PSA group. Your issue is not going to be getting one of the same serial numbers (although this should always be done to ensure compatibility), but on the options fitted / configured on the Donor unit. BSIs allow for many different ECUs and vehicle options to be configured. If these are not identical to the options on your car then you may have the same problems.

This is what is done at the dealer when a NEW BSI has been installed. First they record all the configuration options of the existing BSI (where possible), fit the correct BSI, then they code the BSI to the vehicle using the confidential customer code, then they download (up to 3 times in some cases) the correct software for the vehicle. Once they are sure the BSI is programmed, they always go through and restore any options fitted to the vehicle manually. Options such as type of folding mirrors, whether a rain sensor is fitted / fog lights. Auto light function. type of head unit, reversing sensors / trailer unit etc. etc.

So you could end up spending money without reason and could be in the same position as you are in now.

I'm assuming the people who already fitted the last BSI and ECU did not do or know how to do this - obviously from the issues you are describing. This is something they should of known had to be done if they are proper mechanics.

So the next steps/ Options I suggest:
  1. The first thing I would suggest is to go back to the garage who swapped the BSI and ECU over in the first place and put the responsibility back on them to get it configured correctly!
  2. Provide me with the original VIN code of your Picasso (stamped under the outer passenger lower windscreen). I will be able to print off and email you a list of the specification for your car as it left the factory.
    From this, you will be able to determine the relevant equipment / options that were fitted. You need to locate somebody with a Lexia kit near you that can go into the BSI and configure the correct options for your car - but they will need to understand what should and should not be changed.
  3. If you cannot find somebody with Citroen / PSA knowledge with a Lexia / Diagbox to do this, then you may need to find a Citroen dealer, explain that you have had a second hand BSI fitted and likely need some of the Customer Options changing to reflect you actual vehicle not the donor vehicle that the BSI was from. They may be able to do this for you - they will obviously charge you diagnostic time which is usually about £90 an hour. It should not take more than 20-30 minutes to do if they know their stuff. I suspect there will only be several areas to ficus on that will be different - and that will be Auto Lights, Steering Module Under The Steering Wheel / Head Unit / Rear View Mirrors / Front /Rear Lighting options fitted / Transmission / Cruise Control / Sunroof / Emissions / Type of Locking / etc.
  4. You might consider investing in a Lexia kit with a Windows XP / 7 laptop (unless you have have one). These are about £100- £140 tops for a full-chip UK-based one. Then if you have a wireless connection available I could possibly dial in and run through the options with you.
If you get another BSI and ECU Transponder set, you may risk ending up in the same position - there could be a difference in the equipment that is not so obvious and you may still have ongoing problems. Don't forget you'll need the matching transponder fobs too from the donor car. The only way to be sure you will get a set with a BSI configured with the exact same options as your original car is to find a compatible set that came from an identical model with the same options as your car and no additional customer options installed. That may be more difficult to check and source.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
new Citroen owner
New User
My Cars: 2009 CITROEN C4
Red Hatchback
Engine No: 5FT-COVERED
Industry Model Code: ABA-B55FT

Post by new Citroen owner »

I have a citroen c4 were the ecu burnt out I have change the ecu bsi and the remote to suit so car starts.
now i have just readed this Provide me with the original VIN code of your Picasso (stamped under the outer passenger lower windscreen). I will be able to print off and email you a list of the specification for your car as it left the factory. so my vin code is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] so are you able to print off and email me the list to the specification for my car as i have a PP2000 so i can do the donor ecu bsi please thanks