Replace struts (rear door) C5 2005 // estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wbgenetic
My Cars: Citoren C5 / 2.2 Automatic / Estate (2005) || VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Project name: The Mothership

Replace struts (rear door) C5 2005 // estate

Post by wbgenetic »

Hello guys,

I've been holding off with this change for quite some time now - but not having a proper rear door (5th door) for the trunk (meaning: it closes automatically :D) literally means that the trunk is like an old closet ...

I was not able to find a guide and would like to ask you - if available to supply one as to how to replace (at least the small struts in the rear).
(I do have both bought and ready).

Thanks!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Replace struts (rear door) C5 2005 // estate

Post by RichardW »

Richard W
wbgenetic
My Cars: Citoren C5 / 2.2 Automatic / Estate (2005) || VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by wbgenetic »

yeah, i've seen those but not much is seen there in terms of the actual disassembly of the head-lining for example ... isn't there a manual of some kind (I know the guy in the video mentions that the Haynes manual mentions visiting a dealer... nevertheless)...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The headlining isn't too much of a problem, you peel it down from the middle after removing the plastic trims on either side, it's held in place with double sided adhesive pads and folds back enough to do the job.
Like all modern cars the trims are held in place by plastic pegs so just need a bit of careful levering to get them off.

The most difficult bit I found is getting the circlips off the inner end of the struts because you're working upside down and can't get a clear view, I chucked the pliers aside and prised them off with a screwdriver in the end, they buckled a bit but were easy enough to re-shape and pop back on to the new struts.

You'll need some muscle :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wbgenetic

Post by wbgenetic »

Now... Some muscle I have ... lots of muscle not sure - sort of subjective here :)

Anyways I read in a few places that after removing those circlips at the end - there is the option to not re-install them again afterwards (for the rear end). Which would make future endeavours of this kind a much nicer experience...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's right, they don't seem to do much because the weight of the door holds them in place, I suppose that if you pushed the door up too far they might pop out of place.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.