2003 berlingo lumpy smokey engine, no rev counter dash lights on, no wipers or lights all of a sudden!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeLee
My Cars: Citroën berlingo

2003 berlingo lumpy smokey engine, no rev counter dash lights on, no wipers or lights all of a sudden!!!

Post by LeeLee »

Car in question is a 2003 berlingo 1.9 diesel (non turbo)

Driving back from work today when all of a sudden engine felt lumpy, engine management light came on along with the battery light and brake light on the dash, Rev counter wasn’t working either.
I was around half a mile from home so limped it back.
After pulling up noticed more smoke than normal. Popped the bonnet and looked for the obvious but everything looks normal apart from the engine shaking due to the misfire.

Couple hours later I needed to move it to get the car off and noticed I’ve also lost headlights (dash illuminates but no main beam) and also wipers have stopped working and heater blower!
So to sum it up in one swoop I’ve got....
Misfire
No rev counter
Management light on
Battery light on
Brake warning light on
Smoking engine
No headlights
No wipers
No heater

Before daylight tomorrow I’d like some idea on where to start, if anyone can shed any light on what’s happened?

Thanks (in advance)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 2003 berlingo lumpy smokey engine, no rev counter dash lights on, no wipers or lights all of a sudden!!!

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds to me like a serious electrical fault denying power to many circuits...

The badly running engine is likely as a result of a power failure to its diesel injection pump/ECU causing the injection system to default to a 'safe' fully retarded timing setting...

There will be one common cause for all of these symptoms I expect... With a wiring diagram check firstly for all supplies to the engine ECU/injection pump and work back from there.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2003 berlingo lumpy smokey engine, no rev counter dash lights on, no wipers or lights all of a sudden!!!

Post by RichardW »

Check the fuses.... pretty sure these used to suffer from a 5A fuse popping (particularly if you try to wash the screen and the washers are frozen) which cuts the power to the dash and causes all sorts of mayhem!
Richard W
LeeLee

Post by LeeLee »

Thanks for your responses....

Ok, all fuses have been pulled out under dash near the steering wheel and also in the engine compartment.
Every fuse is still intact!.

Let me get this straight (or my way of thinking) clearly all power has gone from wipers lights blower etc.
All items that are on a permanent live (horn hazards side lights) are still fine.
Which would be the easiest way to check these components to see they are getting a feed? Ie where does it get fed from?
LeeLee

Post by LeeLee »

Is there a relay that switches power to all the duff components?
LeeLee

Post by LeeLee »

Turned out to be the crank sensor! Got it plug in and that’s all that flashed up, changed the sensor and now it runs as it should plus all the wipers,lights and blower works.

I have a clutch issue now :( pedal pressed right into the carpet before it will go into gear.