Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'm not certain about this but I believe the notices were fitted back in the day when the average car's brakes were not too good. Consequently vehicles fitted with air brakes could stop much quicker than the average car so the warning was basically advising you to leave a bigger gap. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 10:14 Often wondered why but don't recall if I ever had an explanation.
You're right Mick...

They were a lot more effective than the then standard brakes of the time and one could be surprised at their stopping power.

An attempt to prevent rear-ending them...

Same reason some cars had an oval pate on them advising they were fitted with disc brakes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When cars and especially trucks took half a mile to come to a stop the advent of air brakes made the warnings necessary. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

You may notice the spelling of METERS on these two very similar trucks.

For the curious Where are the trucks from :?: Even trucks in 2022 in that location had that warning on them.

Its findoutable, the numberplates may help (not UK). The answer I came up with is in the spoiler
Spoiler: show
Trinidad and Tobago
Temp2.png
Yes and the TCP reg of the one on the left, almost brings an olfactory sensation to mind of the go-to antiseptic and general cure-all of childhood.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 10:23 Yes and the TCP reg of the one on the left, almost brings an olfactory sensation to mind of the go-to antiseptic and general cure-all of childhood.
British Alkaloids Finest....

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Wife always called it 'Tom Cat Pee' :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh gosh yes, TCP... Oh the (not very good) memories... Not allowed in my house. Reminds me of worst aspects of old people...

Going purely by the registration plates (notice how they're now increasingly being called 'License Plates' in the UK :evil:) I'd take a wild guess at a British Overseas Territory (either ex or still) out in the Caribbean... The Bahamas or Trinidad perhaps?

Just a wild guess, I've done no research. The spelling of 'Meters' might suggest lands near to the USA.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 13:37 Going purely by the registration plates (notice how they're now increasingly being called 'License Plates' in the UK :evil:) I'd take a wild guess at a British Overseas Territory (either ex or still) out in the Caribbean... The Bahamas or Trinidad perhaps?

Just a wild guess, I've done no research. The spelling of 'Meters' might suggest lands near to the USA.
Nothing short of inspired Jim. It is Trinidad and Tobago :) Who would have thought caution air brakes would take us to the Caribbean :)

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! That was a good guess after all :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

If I had laid down a challenge of bring an original photograph of a John Denver 8-Track Stereo Cartridge to the Remember these thread, I would have come up with the goods today.

Comes free with one of the best Rover 2000 SC's, in a gorgeous red up for Auction at Wb and Sons in Killingworth.
DSC05489.JPG
DSC05490.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

After a rearrangement of my stereo system, 8-Track cartridges are about the only audio media I have no facilities to play. I can do vinyl, CD, cassette, MiniDisc and AM/FM radio but not 8-Track...
20231127_054907.jpg
Home 8-Track players were available in 70s and there were a few recorders about too. Both are very rare and most were not that good. 8-Track was a very definite automotive format and did not sit comfortably as part of a home hi-fi setup.

I used to be presented with a pile of tangled ones every Saturday morning at the TV and Radio shop where I worked as a kid. My job was to take them apart, untangle and rethread them...

They were a continuous loop and that was a definite benefit in a car in those days...

There were a few quadraphonic releases on 8-Track. I remember the TV shop bosse's Zeypher-6 had a Radiomobile Quadraphonic player and that payer introduced me to both the quadraphonic sound and Pink Floyd and Deep Purple... Magic :cool:

The Quadraphonic phase didn't last long as I remember - a sort of a last throw of the dice to try to keep an old format alive for a bit longer perhaps. Once auto-reverse car cassette decks came along, the writing was well and truly on the wall for the 8-Track.

I have good memories of the old 8-Track. As said, they helped shape my musical tastes as doing my Saturday job of untangling them gave me lots of opportunity to listen to a wide variety of music. After all, I had to test them to make sure my work was up to scratch :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 06:09
There were a few quadraphonic releases on 8-Track. I remember the TV shop bosse's Zeypher-6 had a Radiomobile Quadraphonic player and that payer introduced me to both the quadraphonic sound and Pink Floyd and Deep Purple... Magic :cool:
I also took a picture of the gubbins used to play it in situ on the Rover 2000 SC, Radiomobile it is...
DSC05488.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh! I repaired a few of those back in the day :D The track indicator (orange and green lights) was a distinctive feature...

The Quadraphonic Radiomobile lit up a nice bluey/purple at night :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 09:05 Gosh! I repaired a few of those back in the day :D The track indicator (orange and green lights) was a distinctive feature...

The Quadraphonic Radiomobile lit up a nice bluey/purple at night :D
A much neglected area of the internet....images of car stereos lit up at night :-D

Nice nostalgic advert in black and white here...discovered as an aside.
temp2.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Loving that advert Neil :D

You'll have seen that both positive and negative earth versions were available. As was the case for almost all 60s and 70 car radios. Some were easily switched but others needed the lids removed and soldered links moved.

Much of our gainful employment came from repairing those that were set for one polarity and the owner had swapped them over to a different car of the opposite polarity without checking...

A nice little earner as usually, they suffered no great damage... It often looked bad as considerable clouds of smoke could be generated :)
Jim