Immobiliser/Water in footwell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

latheaxe
My Cars: C4 Grande Picasso

Immobiliser/Water in footwell

Post by latheaxe »

2007 C4 Picasso Grand 1.6 HD

Please help im having problems... Yesterday the car wouldnt start.Everything lit up on the dash but wouldnt turn over.There was a low key fob battery warning on the dash.Local mechanic came and it started first time for him. He just said it was one of those things... This morning the wife noticed the drivers footwell full of water, she took the kids to school and parked it on a hill facing downwards. Since then it wont start again, everything lights up on the dash etc but nothing, doesnt attempt to turn over.I suspect the drainage pipe to the underside of the wheel is blocked so free wheeled it down the hill onto the flat to try and stop all the rain getting in. As it moved I could hear gushing water so really conformed this is the cause of water ingress. I will have to have it towed back. Tried also changing the key fob battery but still will not start. Would you say the best cause of action would be to now let the car dry out in the hope of it starting or would there now be bigger problems??.I dont know if the water has affected the Immobiliser????.. Any help appreciated... Thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Immobiliser/Water in footwell

Post by RichardW »

The water in the footwells is a common problem - the scuttle drains get blocked, and the water overflows into the heater system and then the car. It's an easy enough fix:

Not turning over may or may not be linked. Get the drains fixed, dry the car out a bit and see where it takes you. You may well need to get it on a diagnostic computer to find out what signals are being transmitted. I would also check the underbonnet fuse box is not wet, as this can cause problems.
Richard W
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Where is the bsi on C4 Picasso's?
Could be that it's currently swimming at result of this?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The BSIs are usually contained in the passenger glovebox area so well above water. However, if these are anything like the other models, there will be wiring under the passenger side floor carpet as a result of the left - right hand drive conversion process, so if there is wiring that is damp or 'floating' it won't be very happy.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
latheaxe

Post by latheaxe »

"""UPDATE"""" Put a new battery on and still the same, Lights come on the dash, Wont turn over. Warning lights for handbrakes faulty on dash.. Anybody got any ideas??????
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

^^ Did you investigate / dry out the water from under the carpet yet as I mentioned? If these are soaking where there are any joins, you'll likely have problems...

They'll need drying out and probably some electrical contact spray - but always disconnect the battery negative before you investigate / cleanup as you won't want to cause a short or worse activate an airbag.

Here's the Intermediate harness - so you can see the location:
C4 Picasso Int Harness.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
latheaxe

Post by latheaxe »

No I have not dried out the floor.. Take it I would have to remove the drivers seat and trims???.. Its only wet in the drivers footwell so wont have to dry the entire floor out.. Also tried to bump start it and nothing..
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

latheaxe wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 16:49 Warning lights for handbrakes faulty on dash.

I really wouldn't worry about the handbrake lights being on - all you have to do is look at the damn car the wrong way and they come on just to p**s you off. :twisted: :roll: Lexia finds fault, Lexia mends fault, handbrake lights go out, computer says :rofl2: handbrake lights come back on :roll:
And the handbrake gubbins are under the nsf seat so the water in the drivers footwell shouldn't have an effect . . . but . . .

The video above shows what the water problem could be and how to sort it. The other option is that the air con pipe from the heater box is blocked or not fixed into the hole in the floor to allow it to drain. Neither job is difficult.

As regards the non-starting you need Lexia on the car so the computer can tell you what it says is wrong with it.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I agree it needs to go on Lexia - however, check the underbonnet fuse box first - there is a 20amp fuse on there for the starter relay circuit, which is prone to popping once the starter gets a bit tired. My 307 is running a 30 amp fuse in there (cos it popped the 25A one fitted,and I only had a 30A....) - need to fit a new starter, once I figure out how on earth to get the old one off!!
Richard W
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

latheaxe wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 18:22 No I have not dried out the floor.. Take it I would have to remove the drivers seat and trims???.. Its only wet in the drivers footwell so wont have to dry the entire floor out.. Also tried to bump start it and nothing..

My car is a Xantia, so the cause might be different than described above. The scuttle plastic strip at the bottom of the windscreen was no longer sealed to it, water drips straight from windscreen into air intake for the cabin heating, then leaks out of the hose. Passenger side footwell wet.

But yes, remove driver's seat (probably Torx bits, in case you don't have a set yet), remove centre console, remove carpet and foam insulation under it. I cut the foam along the centre line to save removing both sides

You may find the rear footwell is wet too.

When I did mine, to start with I just lifted the front carpet and removed the seat bolts but left it connected to the wiring, as I was worried about the side airbag. In the end I disconnected the battery for few minutes then removed the seat completely, as the water was so bad and the foam was never going to dry in place after squeezing it a few times and aiming a fan heater in under the carpet. A couple of washing up bowls full. No wonder the windows were steamed up in the morning.
latheaxe

Post by latheaxe »

UPDATE""""" OK... So I have cleaned the scuttle drains out,it was like a waterfall lol..... I have already checked fuses,replaced battery.I finished early from work today so removed the fan motor as it wasnt working because of the water and have now got an hair dryer on the go under the dash.. Will have to remove seats and carpet tomorrow once I have finished work... The faulty handbrake warning has now gone off the dash but Eco mode is still on....The saga continues!!!!!!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Eco mode will remain on until the engine has started (it is a way to try and make sure there is enough power in the battery to actually start the engine), as it will 'disable' everything not needed to start the car.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
latheaxe

Post by latheaxe »

As an after thought does anyone have a "how to" to removing the trims,centre console etc???
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Don't envy you at all trying to dry at this time of year, I had a Xantia many years ago and had the scuttle not sealed proplem. The passenger side was soaking, it wasn't drying the carpet that was really the problem it was the underlay/ sound deadening insulation foam under the carpet that was the problem, it took ages to dry that out fully and I did it in the summer with the heat of the sun helping.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

andy5 wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 13:24The scuttle plastic strip at the bottom of the windscreen was no longer sealed to it

Must have removed the complete scuttle from four or five of these C4GP's now and none of them have been sealed to the windscreen.