Engine changing help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgjones095
My Cars:

Engine changing help needed

Post by jgjones095 »

I've just bought a AX 1.0RE (needs some tlc!). Anyway i am considering putting an AXGT engine in it and making it a kind of track day/rally car/normal everyday car. I here people putting different engines in different cars all the time, so its obviously ok to do it, e.g VTR/S into a AXGT etc
What I was wondering about was the legal side of it. Do I need to tell anyone that I've done this -
i.e. when i am going to TAX it, MOT it and insure it. because the engine numbers are going to be different! What implications do i have if i don't?
What about the cars mileage? if I put a new engine in (that has done less miles than the current) do I leave the car mileage alone?
Please help guys as I am not 100% sure what the law is on this sort of thing [?]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi
You <b>definitely</b> need to tell the insurance - they need no encouragement at all to declare you uninsured if you were unfortunate enough to have an accident - you could face bankruptcy.
Not sure of implications of the wrong engine number on the V5, but why not just change it?
Mileage - the rest of the car has done (presumably) what it says on the odometer - changing this would only be illegal if you were to sell the car and stated the mileage was genuine. However, it is really less than honest to do this sort of thing, and the mileages on MOT certificates would take a bit of explaining! Especially as folk are so paranoid about mileage.
IMHO, it is much easier to get a car with the engine you want in it! [;)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yeah Mike,
But its much more fun . .
. . like when I put a R5TS engine in an old R4 . . . you should have seen the faces at the traffic lights . .
//NiSk
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi NiSk
My face would have had a smile on it, and my thoughts would have been something like 'Not my petrol/tyres/transmission' [;)]
I have been known to fall about laughing at antics of boy-racers!
Not too good if you are driving a car at the time [:(]
Mike
Definition of 'boy racer' A person of either sex who would accept this epithet as a compliment
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

To be honest mate, i'd go for a VTR/VTS conversion instead. its a LOT more work but i doubt you'd find a GT engine that didnt have a load of miles on it. The only advantage in the GT engine is you wouldnt have to change the fuel tank & basically the whole front end the & the whole loom...hmmm thinking about it, get a GT engine!! stick it in get a set of twin webbers & get the car on a major slim fast plan!![:D]
jgjones095
My Cars:

Post by jgjones095 »

I have a mate who is selling an AXGT engine - that has been rebuild with fast cams etc - and only done 600 miles since the rebuild.
One plan is to get the car running (again!)
The other is to make a rally/track day car (or eventually anyway - need money 1st!)
Problem is where the car is kept(parents - as i dont have off road parking + only a poor student!) they dont want their drive it turned into a garage workshop.
My definition of a 'boy racer' is someone who drives up'n down the same street with music up LOUD in a car that is extreamly modded to the point of why? - not that it is a bad thing - just depends on the car!
NickB
My Cars:

Post by NickB »

You will need to change the suspension, brakes bushes anti-roll bars etc, also probably drive shafts and gearbox too.Sell the 1.0 AX, buy a cheap GT and put your friends motor in it, sell the motor you took out, Much easier.Really. There is a complete AX GT (orGTI) in a scrapyard in Liverpool.If your interested phone me for their number.
Nick 0151 427 6312 evenings.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I can understand wanting a 1.9D in a Jaguar.. Because you have the best of both worlds? Comfort and economy. [^] but why on earth would you want to spends a small fortune in terms of hard cash and manual labour to end up with a mini size car that only does 20 to the gallon? [:0] [:(!]
You really think its worth all that just to impress some stranger at some traffic lights somewhere by getting in front of him before you have to stop at the next set of lights?
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My definition of a 'boy racer' is someone who drives up'n down the same street with music up LOUD in a car that is extreamly modded to the point of why? - not that it is a bad thing - just depends on the car!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Also depends on whether you have the misfortune to live in that street or not!
Mind you, full credit to the bloke who must have made a fortune out of that recording of a dumper truck ticking over. Frequency distortion? Never heard of it [}:)]
jgjones095
My Cars:

Post by jgjones095 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You really think its worth all that just to impress some stranger at some traffic lights somewhere by getting in front of him before you have to stop at the next set of lights?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No I do not.
As for putting a 1.9D from a jaguar into it, have you seen the size on them - need some extreame modification to the front end!
Mind you there is a Supercharged Jag engine in the Institutes workshop that would be better!
<hr noshade size="1">
Jonathan
95 AX Cascade 1.0i 68 miles
87 AX RE 1.1 135miles
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I think James actually said 'a 1.9D in a Jaguar' - lots of room for that. Don't think Jaguar actually ever made a 1.9D ! [;)]
There is a trike not too far from here with a Jag engine and autobox in it - it did feature on Top Gear before they changed the production team to 10-year olds.
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Don't do it.
I had a GT and the brakes, enlarged over the std AX as they were, still didn't stop the car properly. So your AX 10 would have no chance.
Then you would crash into the back of somebody and then get sued by them because your insurers would revoke your cover because you didn't tell them you modified the car. And you wouldn't be able to sell the scrap because the details on the V5 would be incorrect.
Just buy a GT and save yourself the trouble.
Simon.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Hmmm,
a slimmed down AX ?
That would be a motorcycle then.
Anyway why not start with a clean sheet and build a LOCOST ?
Mark
jgjones095
My Cars:

Post by jgjones095 »

Would have bought an AXGT - but this AX only cost me £21 (a bargin me thinks!)
I am looking for an AXGT but currently still at uni - Swansea Institute (studing motorsport engineering and design) - so cannot affort to buy one as I am an extremly skint.
Not only that but being only 22 with no years clams bonus will not help my insurance premium!
I know that by informing the insurance company about the engine swap will effectivly increase it - I planned it to be a long term (ish) project so that by the time I graduate (1 1/2 years) and am earning money so that i can affort it.
As for building a LOCOST i am currently doing that in Uni. Building one to compete in the 2004 Locost racin series. - Oh what fun it is!
<hr noshade size="1">
Jonathan
95 AX Cascade 1.0i 68 miles
87 AX RE 1.1 135miles
NickB
My Cars:

Post by NickB »

Check with your insurance company BEFORE you do anything.In most cases they will refuse to insure it at all, nevermind increase it.I'm an old geeser now and its a struggle to find anyone to cover a standard(ish) ZX Volcane if I put a Roll cage in it. Image telling them youve put a AXGT engine in a 1.0 without the brakes and suspension to match! If you do find a daft insurance co,let me know!