Saxo Non Start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PC2CV
My Cars: 1986 305 1.6 Automatic
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

Saxo Non Start

Post by PC2CV »

My Grandparents have a 2001 1.4 Automatic Saxo which will not start,
It turns over, and chugs slightly as if its about to start but doesn't startup

So far I have checked
- the fuel line in and return; good flow at both
- spark plugs; a spark from the plugs when rested on the rocker cover
- timing belt; it is not snapped and the camshaft is still turning
- crankshaft position sensor; contacts are clean and the sensor itself has no debris on it
- chassis earths are all clean and free of corrosion
- the car is in Park
- the immobiliser light comes on and goes out as it normally would, i dont think it is the immobiliser as the car cranks over and chuggs as if its about to start but doesnt seem to manage that.
I tried starting it both on its own battery then connected jump leads from my 406 to the saxo, it cranked over quicker but still did not start.

Lexia doesn't show any faults, it cant really show if individual injectors are firing ok, or if the crankshaft position sensor is bad.

Im not too sure what to check next.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Saxo Non Start

Post by CitroJim »

I had a very similar problem on a Saxo many years ago...

The fact you have sparks and fuel suggest the engine should run or at least try - the 'chuffing' noise says it might be trying...

I'd first check the valve timing is correct just in case it has slipped. If it has, check the timing belt for missing teeth...

If that is definitely OK then do a compression test...

Reason I say that is the Saxo I had with this issue had been running a very weak mixture for a while and the resulting overheating/detonation had holed all four pistons!

The reason was a broken/disconnected vacuum pipe going into the inlet manifold causing a massive air leak and subsequent weak mixture..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I commented on the fb page for this, check the earth cables, battery to chassis, battery to gearbox, gearbox to chassis, - a jump lead will do it, my old 309 was driving along fine then cutout, wouldn't go, had all prescribed for starting but wouldn't go,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Spurious
My Cars: Well missed Xantia Activa
Another missed Xantia 2.0hdi
Current C5 Estate HDi

Post by Spurious »

Could be a crank position sensor? Was the rev counter working before? I'm not sure if the saxo ones can be tested with a multimeter, I've tested ones with a flukemeter on Hz settings.
Phase 2 Xantia HDi
Sold
Phase 1 Xantia Activia
Sold :(
Phase 2 Citroen C5
Sold

And a current semi-working MK1 C5 Hdi 110.
Jaya123
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8

Post by Jaya123 »

I have a similar problem with Xantia 1.8 , manufacture year 2000. But here the immobilizer light does not turn ON in the dash board when trying to start. Should it flash and turn off as described above for the car to start ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jaya123 wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 02:39 to start. Should it flash and turn off as described above for the car to start ?

Yes, one brief flash and then it'll go off... If it stays on and there is a bleep when you try to start that is a sign the immobiliser has not deactivated...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if there are any failed light bulbs in the instrument panel? If, for example, the immobiliser light bulb had failed, it could be a red herring that it is not staying on.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If you are getting a decent regular spark then you can probably rule out the crank sensor.
Are the spark plugs getting wet with fuel ?
Is there a 12v supply to the injectors on cranking?
As for the Xantia, if there is no immobiliser light coming on (assuming the bulb is ok) it likley means the CPH has lost a power supply or earth.
PC2CV
My Cars: 1986 305 1.6 Automatic
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

Post by PC2CV »

I am getting a good spark at all 4 plugs when rested on the rocker cover. The plugs themselves were wet, i cleaned them with a rag and when reinstalled the car almost started.

All cylinders were showing compression above 90 psi, with very little variance between them.

I shall try and get a multimeter to see if the injectors are receiving 12v. The immobiliser light is acting as normal. What is the CPH?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The CPH is only on the Xantia, the Saxo has a basic immobiliser control box just for the immobiliser. if the immobiliser light is operating as normal I would probably rule out any immobiliser issue.
Are you sure the engine is not just flooded ? the last time the car started was it only started & run for a very short time (less than 30 seconds) ?
The fact that it tried to fire after cleaning the spark plugs suggest this may be the case.
Get the plugs back out it, disconnect the coil pack & remove the fuel pump fuse (think it may be fuse 9 under bonnet from memory). Spin the engine over for about 20 seconds to clear out any excess fuel. Dry the plugs on a flame like a gas cooker or blow torch & get them nice & hot. Plugs back in, fuel pump fuse back in then try again, still may need to crank it for a bit.
Ideally you should have another car connected to the battery with jump leads so it doesn't go flat during this.