ZX Rear suspension noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

greg

ZX Rear suspension noise

Post by greg »

Dear All,
Can anyone help with diagnosis of a problem?I have an M Reg ZX 1.9TD estate.Aura. If rear trailing arm drops into a pothole there is a clonk.If on corrugations this can be follwed by a series of smaller clonks as if something is loose.It sounds louder on the exhaust side of the vehicle but the exhaust itself does seem secure. My previous ZX also did this and I was never able to track it down. Is is it likely to the be the bearings in the trailing arm? Vehilce has done about 120,000 which is the same as the other one Any help appreciated and any ideas on costs t o fix.
Greg
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Greg,
Clonks from the rear of ZX's are often due to the rear subframe mounts. There have been loads of posts about them previously. They are not hard to replace. But it is easier if you have an extra pair of hands. If you jack the rear up with a jack in the middle of the rear axle tube, then support on both sides with axle stands under the jacking points then lower the jack. You will scare yourself as the axle hangs down held by any remaning subframe bushes (they seperate with age). If it is not the subframe mounts then another possibility is that the tailgate catch needs adjusting. I'm sure other possibilities will be suggested.
Cheers
Duncan
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

It is probably the rear subframe mounts. My ZX TD 93 had exactly the same problem, sounded like the back end was going to fall off. They only cost about £30 or so quid for all four rubber mounts but changing them, although straight forwards, can be time consuming as it is a fiddly job. I did mine working by myself in a single garage with just trolley jack and stands in about 8 hours, although a second pair of hands would have lessened that considerably.
greg

Post by greg »

DuncanThanks for the reply What goes wrong with the tailgate catch? Mine doesn'tlock properly anyway
Greg
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

The metal ring in the boot lip that the tail gate catch latches onto doesn't seem to hold the tailgate 100%, to try and move it manually when closed it seems fine but when driving you can hear banging and squeaking noise from the tailgate area. The cure it to wrap some insulating/duct tape around the metal ring part of the catch, to build it up and stop the plastic squeaking on it. Someone mentioned they had seen later models with a plastic collar fitted.
Guru Meditation
NickB
My Cars:

Post by NickB »

Its the front (hard to see and replace)mountings on the rrear subfrme.You will find they look perfect when you get them off, but trust me thats the problem.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Interesting
makes some sense, my ZX does the same,(sounds like back end is going west over pot holes, cattle grids and so on) thought it was rear shocks, so replaced them.
Subframe mounts all looked ok when on ramps.